MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #46
STCL01
On the road to being a farker

Thanks CC. Now for another stooooopid question, does it list that it's non-waxed on the package somewhere, or do you just have to search for it? I was planning on trying to pick some up at Sams. I know they have butcher paper, but don't know if it's the type I need. I have been just waiting to do a butcher paper wrap and see how it turns out! Sunday afternoon it is.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #47
mcblm
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hello Smoke Fan. I'm new here so I'm still learning my way around the site. Can you tell me what to search for regarding the links that you used to learn in cooking that awesome brisket? You mentioned a certain thread and video's?

Thanks,
mcblm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Howdy mcblm!

I did a lot of reading through the links Pitmaster T provides on this page:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...et+suck+thread

Additionally, CarolinaQue's discussion on the same topic was helpful as well:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143631

I didn't follow everything to a T, but I think my new technique would boil down to this:

Rub in Worcestchire, then light to moderately coat in ground sea salt and ground pepper. I used Tellicherry which is supposedly a bit milder.

Cook at 275 fat cap down, I also used a foil pan underneath with water in it.

When flat is 170, double wrap in red butcher paper. Put back on smoker.

Cook until a probe slides easily in flat and point. Will feel this in point first. Flat will still likely feel tough. Another hour or possibly longer, the flat should give up and feel more or less like the point. In this case, that occurred when the temp hit 205. I wasn't cooking to a temp though. I just checked it for fun.

Once you hit that checkpoint, take it off to rest. Some have used 200 degree oven. I just shut off the dampers on my BGE and left the fire choke out. This slowly causes temp to drift back to 200 for at least a couple of hours. In this case I rested it for 1 hour or so.

Total cook time including rest, 13 hours for 8 lb quasi packer.

I'm no expert. This method may result in a total mess.
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #49
mcblm
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks SF. I've had the exact same Costco brisket sitting in my freezer for a couple of weeks. Sunday is hopefully going to be a great day.
mcblm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing...I may have to give the butcher paper a try very soon. Gotta find some un-waxed though...not sure how the waxed will hold up to 325-350 degrees...

Shut up Donnie...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #51
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm not sure what Sam's sells for butcher paper, but I'd be willing to be that it's non-waxed. But, you'll be able to tell by feel. Regular butcher paper will simply feel like thick paper. If it has any kind of coating, one side will feel very smooth.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #52
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I'm not sure what Sam's sells for butcher paper, but I'd be willing to be that it's non-waxed. But, you'll be able to tell by feel. Regular butcher paper will simply feel like thick paper. If it has any kind of coating, one side will feel very smooth.
Thanks...we'll check it out!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #53
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
This thread is not about you. If you have nothing helpful to say please refrain from posting.

No one ever says that to my face when I am holding Third Eyes 21 inch probe in my hand...

As far as waxed paper, you actually NEED to buy a Gulf wax Block and literally toss it in the paper with the brisket.

"We don't want that knot staring at us from the fireplace."
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #54
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing...I may have to give the butcher paper a try very soon. Gotta find some un-waxed though...not sure how the waxed will hold up to 325-350 degrees...

Shut up Donnie...
The wax is crucial because Brisket is such a lean cut.
Facebook

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #55
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
No one ever says that to my face when I am holding Third Eyes 21 inch probe in my hand...

As far as waxed paper, you actually NEED to buy a Gulf wax Block and literally toss it in the paper with the brisket.

"We don't want that knot staring at us from the fireplace."
Actually I prefer the wax rings that they use to seal toilets, they have a heavy duty one for men like us who wear pants bigger than size 38, just work the brisket into the hole in the wax ring, then wrap in one layer of red butcher paper, one layer of white, than a counterclockwise spiral with a 1.0375" wide strip of brown paper cut from am Aldi brown paper bag (MUST be the Aldi bags, nothing else will do), if you do a cook on the other side of the equator most everybody knows, but just a reminder, wind the strip the other direction in that case.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #56
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
Actually I prefer the wax rings that they use to seal toilets, they have a heavy duty one for men like us who wear pants bigger than size 38, just work the brisket into the hole in the wax ring, then wrap in one layer of red butcher paper, one layer of white, than a counterclockwise spiral with a 1.0375" wide strip of brown paper cut from am Aldi brown paper bag (MUST be the Aldi bags, nothing else will do), if you do a cook on the other side of the equator most everybody knows, but just a reminder, wind the strip the other direction in that case.

Bill
I love you man!!!! LMAO

I never thought of that! The toilet rings have an additive to keep the brisket from mildewing.... which.... really only can happen when "tiger-pellet-dog" has us doing the 12 day 140 degree brisket smoke.
Facebook

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #57
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

As good as it gets! very nice.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
GL-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

looks good
GL-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #59
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Fantastic!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #60
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Wow- looks awesome. i did a dank brisket today too but just rolled old school (no foil, paper, or anything). It was really good but want to do the paper thing asap. I'm convinced it's a great way to cook a brisket. Great work
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote