MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had a Vitamix 3600 with the reversible motor, stainless steel container with spigot that I picked up off CL for $50. Used it for smooothies and general blending. I liked it for the retro appeal, but the OL hated it.
We were at the county Fair and bought the Vitamix 5000 back when it was the new model-It was the only thing I've ever bought from a Fair vendor, but with all the extras tossed in and the fact that I sold the retro 3600 for $150 in 30 minutes after listing it on CL it wasn't a big hit to the wallet.

Lately I've been making soups from the online recipes.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Vitamix is the way to go...

Used daily in our house too (protein shakes, green smoothies, milkshakes).

My favorite use is when I take the veggies (onions, carrots, celery, garlic etc) from the pan under roasting turkeys, chickens roasts and make a base for gravy by pureeing in the blender...comes out creamy smooth. Best gravy ever!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
Ill put a Vitamix or Blendtec up against any $20 blender you bring to the table and we will see where all the extra money went.

Its kinda like saying you can get a car for $2000 why would you need to spend $100,000 for a Ferrari?

People do more than crush ice in a blender.
Exactly.

Thanks for making my point

HA
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Exactly.

Thanks for making my point

HA
Theres a reason why these things exist and theres a reason why they cost so much, I guess you will never know that reason since you wont even try.

Edit: Even with all these glowing reviews from other Brethren im certain you will still think its a waste of money.

Last edited by Toronto; 02-08-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

We bit the bullet and bought a VM 5200 a couple of years ago... in the 2 years that we've had it, I have not had even one second of buyers remorse. The thing is incredible! Just take a look at their website to get an idea of what they can do...and if you decide it's for you, call them and order a refurbished unit. There refurbs, more often then than not, were used a handful of times at demos. The cool thing about the refurbs is that you still get the full warranty (7 years, parts/labor/and shipping both ways), not to mention that they are considerably less expensive than brand new.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq

Last edited by rwalters; 02-08-2013 at 12:52 PM..
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

I have one. They are amazing.

My wife makes smoothies.

I've made soup...with just the blender. I kid you not, the blender alone will make soup steaming hot.

You can fresh grind seasonings and rubs!

We've made fresh fruit margaritas.

It's is a blender - food processor extraordinaire.

Comes with quite a recipe book as well as an instructional DVD.

They knead bread dough with it and make peanut butter from fresh peanuts on the DVD...

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Retired RailRoader
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I know it's expensive and i know it's not for all. If I used the expensive logic I would not have bought my Big Green Eggs. I consider that purchase one of the best I have ever made. Depending on the snow today and tonight I may pick it up either tomorrow or Sunday. That's after I dig myself and my eggs out.��

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I have a Blendtec that I love. From what I can tell, the performance between those and Vitamix are comparable. What sold me on the Blendtec was that it has a lower profile and would fit under my kitchen cabinets while sitting on the counter. Seems to me like the move is to grab one or the other depending on the deal you can get.
I chose the Blendtec over the Vitamix for the same reason plus the 3hp motor. Not like 2hp Vitamix motor isn't enought but still . Excellent blender and well worth the money if you ask me. It's not just an expensive blender so google it or you tube it and you'll see the difference compared to a traditional blender. Thing does eveything and a necessary tool in the kitchen with as much cooking I do.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Is this a trick question?

Why would anyone spend $500 on a blender?

It's a damn blender.

Buy a $20 blender and take $480 and buy a rice cooker and a banana holder.

Oh, and a omlet maker and salad shooter.........
I suppose you have the same opinion about a $20 grill being just as good as a $500 one? They're just grills, right?

Never mind the fact a VitaMix can grind a cinderblock to dust in a matter of seconds, has an incredible warranty, and has way more power than your $20 blender.

Nonetheless, so glad you could enlighten us!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
bigabyte

No sense buying that expensive meat either. Just get the pink slime stuff on sale.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I was going to buy a WSM, but then I saw that Wal-Mart had a grill for 20 bucks. I can almost fit twenty burgers on it!

If you'll use it, buy it. I bought a freaking food processor that cost a LOT, but I use that thing everyday. I'm seriously considering buying one of these now, as I do enjoy smoother bases for things, and my cheapo blender is only good for making rice milk and milkshakes in at this moment.

If it's going to see use, then do it, with no regrets! Unless like the electric bill is to be sacrificed. Blender, no electricity... bad juju.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #27
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I suppose you have the same opinion about a $20 grill being just as good as a $500 one? They're just grills, right?

Never mind the fact a VitaMix can grind a cinderblock to dust in a matter of seconds, has an incredible warranty, and has way more power than your $20 blender.

Nonetheless, so glad you could enlighten us!
And who doesn't love a cinderblock smoothie in the morning?

Seriously though, once I started using the Blendtec it was clear there was no going back to regular blenders.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
No sense buying that expensive meat either. Just get the pink slime stuff on sale.
Wow...you really got me thinking here. I could save a TON on meat expenses now! After all, it's meat, and all meat is the same, right?

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I'd probably take a ninja over a nutri bullet. I love my ninja, and while its not a vitamix, it does do great stuff.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
buccaneer

I want to justify getting one!
Please, owners, give a range of things you do with the things and give me some ammo for the quartermaster!