• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Aaron Franklin:Ribs Part 1

At 1:35......notice the way he puts the cap back on... fingertips only... who does that?

WTF!

Nice tip on the sprinkle setting... hole up top. I might use that tip when I do two or three racks in my uds... but for my big rig, I use this
$(KGrHqRHJEEFBnQbE9f3BQml2CCzRQ~~60_35.JPG

Personally, I was more impressed by the quick pointer finger tapping on side of garlic for precise measurement just a few seconds before that.

Ladies must love that.

I just like the way he cooks. I could hang out with him and cook. He has that, "fark the rules, this is how I do it" kind of attitude that is very compatible with my style of cooking.

I also like his measuring technique. "I'm gonna' use about this much pepper." I do that, too. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me for a recipe for some of my regular cooks, and I have to tell them I don't have one. Some people don't believe me.

CD

Nice tip on the sprinkle setting... hole up top. I might use that tip when I do two or three racks in my uds... but for my big rig, I use this
$(KGrHqRHJEEFBnQbE9f3BQml2CCzRQ~~60_35.JPG

Donnie's got him by at least 3". Sorry, off to the PB.

Ok, stupid question. He said not to buy St Louis cut ribs, but didn't he basically just turn this rack into St Louis cut ribs?

Ok, stupid question. He said not to buy St Louis cut ribs, but didn't he basically just turn this rack into St Louis cut ribs?

No he just cut off the breast bone, cut the skirt off the back, and pulled the membrane off, he didnt do any further trimming to cut them to St. Louis ribs.

Spares have more meat. And usually cheaper around here. I'm assuming that's what he meant.

Does anyone say that his ribs are anywhere near as good as his brisket?

His brisket is the main attraction but his ribs are really really good too. Cooked perfectly and moist, nice flavor. Unlike most Q joints I've been too, his Q needs no sauce. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for pt.2.

I just like the way he cooks. I could hang out with him and cook. He has that, "fark the rules, this is how I do it" kind of attitude that is very compatible with my style of cooking.

I also like his measuring technique. "I'm gonna' use about this much pepper." I do that, too. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me for a recipe for some of my regular cooks, and I have to tell them I don't have one. Some people don't believe me.

CD

I use the same "throw a bunch of stuff together" method of cooking too...drives my wife insane :laugh:

His brisket is the main attraction but his ribs are really really good too. Cooked perfectly and moist, nice flavor. Unlike most Q joints I've been too, his Q needs no sauce. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for pt.2.

I think it is a Texas thing -- sauce is optional on good BBQ. That's how it is at my house. I always make it available to my guests -- usually multiple sauces -- and I am not offended if they use sauce on my Q. To each his own. As for me, I love Q that needs no sauce, and prefer to eat it that way.

CD

Spares have more meat. And usually cheaper around here. I'm assuming that's what he meant.
Ok, somehow I was under the impression that St. Louis was just a style of cut on spares, ie, removing the flap, evening them up etc., basically what he did.

Ok, somehow I was under the impression that St. Louis was just a style of cut on spares, ie, removing the flap, evening them up etc., basically what he did.

Yes, it is a cut on spares, and it is pretty close to what Aaron did.

I buy untrimmed spares, because they are cheaper, and do the St. Louis cutting my self. Why pay the butcher extra to provide you with less meat?

Unlike Aaron Franklin did in that video, I cook the stuff I cut off, and used it for things like beans. I get the impression that he does that at the restaurant, too. I think he only tossed the trimmings for the video.

I absolutely agree that if you leave some parts of a totally un-trimed rack of spares on for smoking, you are going to ruin them. But, you can cook them separately and make use of them in your sides. That's what I do.

I wish Aaron would have taken more of a "no waste" approach in this video. But, I still like his basic way of cooking meats.

CD

I think it is a Texas thing -- sauce is optional on good BBQ. That's how it is at my house. I always make it available to my guests -- usually multiple sauces -- and I am not offended if they use sauce on my Q. To each his own. As for me, I love Q that needs no sauce, and prefer to eat it that way.

CD

I'll put sauce on ribs and chicken, cause I'm usually trying out different rub/sauce combos for comps.. that and my 5 yr old son likes to "paint" the meat on the pit. :mrgreen:

Great video! I am interested to see the rest of the cook. When I visited Franklin Barbecue, the ribs I was served were wrapped in foil before being sliced for me. I am trying to remember if I noticed if the membrane had been removed.

Back