MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #61
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
What if there was some bonus money available to the winner if they were a KCBS member. It would need to be paid by the KCBS and not the orginizer of corse. Lets say the winner gets a $100 bonus but 3 new people joined the kCBS for a shot of the bonus so the KCBS just made there money back and got three new members. This may not make sence at some smaller contests but at the royal for instance it could be hundreds in bonus money and lead to a lot of new members. I know its not exactly the same thing but there sure was a lot of people using Kingsford Comp. at the royal to try to double there money. Or maybe its not winning based but a drawling by the KCBS reps of every KCBS team at the event, That way you don't even have to be a good cook the be eligible to win the bonus. You just have to be a member to be eligible. What do you guys think?

Might end up like Nascar, you get paid by the decals you have on your smoker, a guy finishing 10 makes more money than the 7th place guy cause he has more decals
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #62
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
The 'concept' was basically derived from KCBS ...
As much as I normally agree with you Steph, I think I have to disagree with this a little bit. Not the knee-jerk reaction part, I'm with you there... but the idea's beginnings in general.

I was a member of the KCBS Research and Development Committee a coupla years back, and I believe the concept stemmed from there; trying to bring about more member benefits. As a matter of fact, the committee specifically discussed NEBS and its policy.

There are events in the NorthEast that give NEBS members a discounted entry fee. It has ALWAYS been considered one of the 'benefits' of being a NEBS member.

This 'new concept', had it been brought forward in a different light, as a BENEFIT (instead of 'non-members pay more and the organizer gets to do the work')... I think it may have been received much better.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #63
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
We are already working on a lifetime membership as a matter of fact... it was a topic at the last board meeting.... may happen real soon
Cool idea, Gene. Even a multi-year membership would be nice.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #64
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

What about KCBS discounting their fee relative to the amount of KCBS teams?

Set up a fee schedule with the normal fee expected for sanctioning and for each existing KCBS member team get x amount off. For each team the organizer gets to join KCBS due to the event they could offer y amount off. This gives the organizer a reason to sign teams up rather then forcing them to do so.

This does, in a way, bring in more cooks. Although KCBS isn't bringing in people off their couch they are increasing membership.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #65
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

What about a one time free KCBS membership when you enter your first contest. After a year of receiving the Bullsheet and other perks they would probably renew.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #66
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
What about a one time free KCBS membership when you enter your first contest. After a year of receiving the Bullsheet and other perks they would probably renew.
I think improving the Bullsheet would go a long way towards getting new people. I think it has gotten better with the some of the articles, but page after page of board notes and names of new members isn't the most exciting read. I would think that with all of the bloggers that are competitors we could easily fill those pages with something more interesting and appealing to the general public

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #67
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
What about KCBS discounting their fee relative to the amount of KCBS teams?

Set up a fee schedule with the normal fee expected for sanctioning and for each existing KCBS member team get x amount off. For each team the organizer gets to join KCBS due to the event they could offer y amount off. This gives the organizer a reason to sign teams up rather then forcing them to do so.

This does, in a way, bring in more cooks. Although KCBS isn't bringing in people off their couch they are increasing membership.
or offer organizers incentives to increase membership by offering them a discounted or recruiter rate to sign people up. The NRA does this for its recruiters and I believe so do numerous veterans organizations. Once again, this is not necessarily going to recruit new cooks but will increase membership.
I think the best way to recruit new people is to provide excellent service and have a clear cut benefit to being a member.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #68
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I think improving the Bullsheet would go a long way towards getting new people. I think it has gotten better with the some of the articles, but page after page of board notes and names of new members isn't the most exciting read. I would think that with all of the bloggers that are competitors we could easily fill those pages with something more interesting and appealing to the general public
Agree!
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #69
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=Diva;1116682]The 'concept' was basically derived from KCBS not being able to charge the extra funds themselves due to their tax status.....correct????/QUOTE]

No biggie Michelle, we can't all agree on everything. My point was that KCBS cannot make it mandatory that every team be a member of KCBS in order to cook in KCBS contests due to their tax status.

The way it was "introduced" was about as good as they way they're introducing reducing the bonus points for TOY.

Have a Happy Holiday! Hugs to Gary and the kids!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #70
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Diva;1117248]
Quote:
The 'concept' was basically derived from KCBS not being able to charge the extra funds themselves due to their tax status.....correct????/QUOTE]

No biggie Michelle, we can't all agree on everything. My point was that KCBS cannot make it mandatory that every team be a member of KCBS in order to cook in KCBS contests due to their tax status.

The way it was "introduced" was about as good as they way they're introducing reducing the bonus points for TOY.

Have a Happy Holiday! Hugs to Gary and the kids!
Stephanie,
Just to let you know the roll out was by MMA for the discount for KCBS members. They did not present it the way it was supposed to be. As Michelle said it was to be a "benefit" based on the way NEBS and a few other organizations do it. That is the reason we still have contests on the East doing the discount for KCBS members. Those organizers understood the concept.

A lot of research went into the reduction of bonus points for TOY and without all of the facts I do think you are bashing something good. Obviously it is something personal and I really don't know why.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #71
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=LindaM;1117582]
Quote:

Stephanie,
Just to let you know the roll out was by MMA for the discount for KCBS members. They did not present it the way it was supposed to be. As Michelle said it was to be a "benefit" based on the way NEBS and a few other organizations do it. That is the reason we still have contests on the East doing the discount for KCBS members. Those organizers understood the concept.

A lot of research went into the reduction of bonus points for TOY and without all of the facts I do think you are bashing something good. Obviously it is something personal and I really don't know why.
No, nothing personal about it.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #72
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

[QUOTE=LindaM;1117582]
Quote:

Stephanie,

Linda,

Will there be a disclosure of the research and rational related to the TOY change? After all I've read, I still think it has no real affect.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #73
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Instead of entry fee's, why not make "premium" on the winnings. If a competition was going to award 1500 for GC anyway, call that the KCBS GC, the GC for a non KCBS team would be 1250. This doesn't take away from the host of the show as far as lsoing money at entry fee's and it doesn't take away from the GC if a KCBS team wins, but rather, it bespeaks a value to having the KCBS affiliation. The darn GC, non-KCBS team could have joined for 50 bucks and made 250 extra, too bad, maybe next time they will join. I would do this down through all the cash prizes...meaning a discounted win amount for non-KCBS teams. This cost's nothing to the host or to the KCBS, and is easy to solve once scores are in. This would only occur at KCBS sanctioned events of course. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #74
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Forgot to add, that at the competition would be a way to collect dues and sign people up to be a KCBS member. "let's see, I think I have a chance of winning, I'm not KCBS, it's a 250 dollar difference, and only 50 bucks to join. I'm joining for the shot at 250" Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #75
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Personally, I like the bonus KCBS added money idea. It's worked well for IBCA. A carrot always works better than a stick and the discounted entry for KCBS members was a stick to the organizers. Only way that would work is if KCBS discounted event sanctioning fee based on number of KCBS member teams were competing. This would not be too difficult to implement, but teams would have to be identified by member number rather than names.

The hardest thing with added money though, would be how to determine which contests get the added money. Some events are full with waiting lists so a new team is not going to be able to get in to compete there. Some contests are going away because they can't get enough teams. You don't want to not reward successful contests just because they can't get new teams in the contest, while rewarding contests that aren't successfully attracting teams. I don't have an answer to this. IBCA does it by way of the regional "Pits" but I don't know how the added money contest is chosen from all the contests in that region.

In recruiting new contest cooks, I think it's organizers that do that by putting on local events. I know our local organizer was who first got me to cook a contest and I was hooked after that very first time. KCBS has a great membership recruiting plan with the CBJ program. One way or another there's got to be a way to recruit cooks as members too. I wish we knew how many of those 11,000 teams were members??? Is there a benefit for organizers to be members?
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote