• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thai Green Chicken

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For the Thai TD going on here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159560 I cooked up some Thai Green Chicken. A recipe my wife found about two weeks ago. It's so good we've made it 3 times already.

Starts with a marinade of
1 medium onion
1C cilantro
1 1/2 C basil leaves
1/4 C mint leaves
3 serrano peppers seeded
4 TBS Red Boat 40 Fish Sauce
~1/4 C Braggs aminos (you could use soy sauce here instead)
zest of 2 limes
juice of those same 2 limes
A couple of healthy pinches of pepper, probably about 1/2 tsp.
4-5 cloves of garlic.

All of that goes into the food processor and it gets pureed until somewhat smooth.

For the chicken I used a combination of drumsticks and wings

Took my favorite kitchen weapon to the wings

And then it all went into a ziploc bag overnight to get happy.

I wouldn't marinate this for less than about 8 hours, I let once batch go for 2-full days. After its soak I wipe off the excess marinade.

It then went onto the OTS over indirect heat for about 15-20 minutes per side. This time the skin crisped up nicely on its own so there was no need to finish it over direct heat which I did last time.

Then I plated it up with some stir-fried vegetables

This chicken is awesome! A little spice, a little salty and a great herbaciousness from the mint, cilantro and basil.

Thanks guys! I can't recommend this recipe enough. A great marinade for wings if you're looking for something a little non-traditional. A thai peanut sauce would go well as a dipping sauce.

Wow... looks SO good!! Good luck with the TD, looks like a winner to me. :grin:

The recipe looks great. I raced out & bought 6lbs of drumstick and the necessary herbs. Into my thermomix went all the marinate material. I then packed the lot in a vacuum bag and put it in the fridge:
null_zpsfead8334.jpg

So I will now BBQ the drumsticks tomorrow evening!
John

I left the 6lbs of drumsticks to marinate for a little over a day.
I then continued as instructed and wiped of surplus marinade.
null_zps328fce87.jpg

And placed the lot on my heated BBQ indirect (a bit of a squeeze).
null_zps49fedfa7.jpg

null_zps64db7819.jpg

Chicken didn't cook so well on indirect so I moved across to direct and turned all burners on. With a little moving around all looked good.
null_zps3e444623.jpg

Into a bowl & let stand covered for 15 minutes. Now ready to go.
null_zps2d7c7a98.jpg

I served with boiled rice (cooked with chicken stock) and added peas when almost cooked. We also had a good 1998 Cabernet.
We enjoyed the chicken. It had a pleasant flavour and was very moist. Was it exceptional - probably not. Would I do it again - very likely. It was a change that was welcome.
I appreciate the recipe. Thank you.
John

Glad you enjoyed it John. When you do it again are there any changes you would make? Always looking for ideas on how to tweek.

Glad you enjoyed it John. When you do it again are there any changes you would make? Always looking for ideas on how to tweek.

I would think one could add a few more Thai flavours such as fish sauce, lemon grass and ginger. But without change it sure produced a moist chicken. I have just had a couple of drumstick cold for lunch. The recipe produces an excellent cold product!!!
I enjoyed cooking your recipe.
John

Back