MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default I can't find the road map to reheating pulled pork.

Please help, I can't find the thread on re-heating pulled pork. I made 3 butts, pulled and bagged/froze them for this weekend. I wanted to re-read the thread on the ways to re-heat it but I can't seem to locate it. Anybody know where it went? Thanks!!

Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker
Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical offset
35LB commercial deep fryer
dapittboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

this one?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ng+pulled+pork

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Bill, I seem to remember one with all kinds of different methods of re-heating stuff that was a little different, but that one had what I was looking for. I think I will try and just boil it in the bag. I'm trying not to make it taste like re-heated que, but that's probably not possible exactly.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago

I think your thinking of the famous (or infamous) dishwasher reheating, or is that in the thread I posted.

Let me look again, using chaffing dish as the key term

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 10-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Bill-Chicago

Here's one:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=dishwasher

Here's another:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=dishwasher

The death of "willkat98"

Old 10-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i dont think i posted in that thread, but try spreading the thawed pork out in a 1 inch layer on a cookie sheet. put that in a 400* oven. you might need to move it around a bit with a spatula to get it heated evenly. i hope this helps.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Bigdog

Boss,
Just "hit it" in the micro wave. This ain't farking brain sturgery.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

In my opinion, the microwave changes the taste of meat that has already been cooked in a bad way, especially pork. Just my experience.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76
In my opinion, the microwave changes the taste of meat that has already been cooked in a bad way, especially pork. Just my experience.
Any idea why???
Just curious.

TIM

Old 10-21-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapittboss
Thanks Bill, I seem to remember one with all kinds of different methods of re-heating stuff that was a little different, but that one had what I was looking for. I think I will try and just boil it in the bag. I'm trying not to make it taste like re-heated que, but that's probably not possible exactly.
If by 'boil in the bag', you mean a foodsaver bag, then I would suggest that. I have had no problems at all reheatin gpulled pork in a foodsaver bag.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Any idea why???
Just curious.

TIM
No idea why. I wish I knew. That is just what has happened to me. Pork I have reheated in the microwave any more than just to warm has tasted completely different than it did coming off of the pit.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #12
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I always reheat Q in the oven at 200*. Try to duplicate what got you there in the first place without the smoke.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76
No idea why. I wish I knew. That is just what has happened to me. Pork I have reheated in the microwave any more than just to warm has tasted completely different than it did coming off of the pit.
How about this?
Food is heated when it absorbs energy from the microwave's passing through it.
Fat, sugar, and especially water absorb energy faster than other food substances. Therefore when we zap or "nuke" BBQ pork [which has a lot of fat, and hopefully moisture, plus some sugars] we get pockets of un-even heat. The fat will liquify, the water will vaporize, the sugars will caramalize or burn. If the product is heated in a covered container, we will get steam, and the old-steam-table smell and taste can develop. The taste and texture of the meat will be changed, not for the better.
We can work around most of this, by heating the meat in a microwave at low heat ranges. I have had good results heating pulled pork, and brisket, and ribs, by running the oven at 20 to 30 percent power max, and using short runs of time [a minute or two, depending on quanity of meat], repeating till meat is heated.
I agree with Neil about duplicating what got you there in the first place, and using low heat percentages and short time bursts is a way to try to duplicate low and slow in the microwave.
Not gospel by any means, just my experiance and opinion

Old 10-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
How about this?
Food is heated when it absorbs energy from the microwave's passing through it.
Fat, sugar, and especially water absorb energy faster than other food substances. Therefore when we zap or "nuke" BBQ pork [which has a lot of fat, and hopefully moisture, plus some sugars] we get pockets of un-even heat. The fat will liquify, the water will vaporize, the sugars will caramalize or burn. If the product is heated in a covered container, we will get steam, and the old-steam-table smell and taste can develop. The taste and texture of the meat will be changed, not for the better.
We can work around most of this, by heating the meat in a microwave at low heat ranges. I have had good results heating pulled pork, and brisket, and ribs, by running the oven at 20 to 30 percent power max, and using short runs of time [a minute or two, depending on quanity of meat], repeating till meat is heated.
I agree with Neil about duplicating what got you there in the first place, and using low heat percentages and short time bursts is a way to try to duplicate low and slow in the microwave.
Not gospel by any means, just my experiance and opinion

Deja-Vu - Low and Slow?

Old 10-24-2005, 12:48 PM   #15
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

I ended up heating it in covered roasting pans in the oven at about 200 until hot. Came out great. The microwave seemed like the easiest way, but after reading all the posts, I decided the oven was best. Thanks for the help Bro's, you added to the success of the party!