MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

so go ahead and boil. while your at it save the water and use for a dipping sauce so you can have some pork flavor!! while your at it you might as well throw them on a gasser and get that good ol' propaine taste. just kiddin. but for real i wouldn't. hell my brother boils them and then grills and i refuse to eat them.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #32
GeauxBigRed
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Well, Thats how my fav rib joint does em. I asked him and this is exactly what he said..

"after i roast them, i put them in a "steam chamber" and that makes them more tender and keeps them moist so they wont dry out."

I took the steam chamber to be some sort of device that almost boils them or adds water to em.

Maybe ill just boil for 20 min then roast..

Dont get me wrong, low and slow is cool and all but so far all my ribs come out tasting way bitter. Even if i dont use smoke, they come out tasting weird. So im gonna try something new and see how i like em.

thanx

Matt

Gotcha...sounds like it's just the term boil that has me confused...have you tried giving them a good spritz w/apple juice (or similar) and wrapping in foil for the last part of the cook? This would essentially braise the ribs in the apple juice and any drippings from the ribs.

Maybe something you want to figure out in the oven until you get the texture and taste you are looking for (ala Funk's Night Train Brisket). Then move back to the grill.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Sorry to disagree, but for a true smoky flavor ya gotta use liquid smoke. Beer is for drinkin'
Duh, of course I totally forgot about liquid smoke. Silly me!
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #34
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
Duh, of course I totally forgot about liquid smoke. Silly me!
i had it backwards the whole time, i drank the liquid smoke and braised with beer.

EDIT

WOOT, first time ever using emoticons on this forum.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #35
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, low and slow is cool and all but so far all my ribs come out tasting way bitter. Even if i dont use smoke, they come out tasting weird. So im gonna try something new and see how i like em.

thanx

Matt
Matt, just thinkin... if they are bitter, are you shutting off the exhaust to control the fire. That could be it. Leave the exhaust way open and dampen the fire from intake only. You get a cleaner burn, nice blue smoke and no bitter taste in the meat... just checkin'

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #36
jm_kerr
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, low and slow is cool and all but so far all my ribs come out tasting way bitter.

Matt
What kind of sugar are you using in your rub and at what temps?
jm_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #37
bigabyte

Boil them in maple syrup. You know you want to.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #38
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Boiling ribs? It sounds so "Canadian". Up here, they like to boil everything.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #39
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

the acid test to this would be to boil on a charcoal fire, finish on a grill with sauce and submit in competition and see how they do. i think it would be legal as long as the heat source is charcoal.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #40
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
ok so how would you guys rotisserie spares or BB's so they are nice and tender?

In that post by funk, he states that at 300, spares come out juicy, but at 225, they dry out? how is this so? I thought "low n slow" was the brethren moto?

thanx

Matt
Remember, I have said many times, there is an art and technique to each. Low and slow typically needs foil or at least some way of preserving or enhancing moisture for the long ride. Wrap it up real tight and you got some good ribs... then of course you throw the foil away behind some tree when you are done with her. Hide your wrapper good too so the kids don't use it for a toy or something.

Hot and fast is a lot like a hot and fast scrogg with one of your sexy 16 years old 3rd cousins... the one that shows up to the family reunion in those hot sexy size 3 jeans shorts that make that nice camel toe and sort of looks at you as she drinks a Nehi and really takes the bottle kinda deep in her mouth and her good eye just kinda says..."you can't screw me cuz I am your cousin."

So anyway you and her start going at it against a tree on the other side of the lake where you can peek around the trunk and see anyone coming... I mean you gonna stop to wrap it? You gonna stop to go low and slow...? NO! you gonna pop that coochie like there is no tomorrow and let all the juices kinda fall on the ground, right?

Of course later, while you are eating the corn cob that your wife handed you, you look at your cousin and notice that some of her ankle looks a bit glazed.

Two different things... one is definitely hotter, right?

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 06-23-2010 at 05:21 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #41
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE FARM View Post
i know what you are talking about! give them about an hour in seasoned water, put you some rub on them then on to the rotisseri for how ever long it takes to firm up and get a nice bark on them. Yes i will admit i use to do them like this in the past.
One day you can become an expert and do excellent ribs in a myriad of styles--- then you will be a true pit master - representing many different styles.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #42
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesonfire! View Post
Okay...okay, if you must. Please post a pic of the dearly departed ribs after the massacre..... :)

Always a new group of internees we have to teach. That's the beauty of this forum, cookers that assume because they cannot master a technique, one then must be superior. The fact is, one may simply have found the limits of their own expertise.

We all learn don't we.... or are we through?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #43
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Okay... here it is... a picture of something simmering... not my wife at the end either....

Some of the most popular ribs I ever made before the WEEP method.

They were called "Break My Heart - Loinbacks" and it was a traditional low country recipe from LA that had nothing at all to do with convenience or time but superior flash on the palette.

Video

I am sorry I never got a picture of them cut though. Ignore the second set of rips shaped like a "P"

http://www.youtube.com/user/Popdaddy...u/21/_ETt0-WT2

Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #44
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Now continue the discussion for another few days LOL

Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #45
thirdeye

An alternate to boiling is pressure cooking. With different processing times, you can obtain different levels of tenderness as well as longer or shorter cook time once they hit your grill or smoker.

Processing times of 12 to 25 minutes are common, and I have seen some discussion on natural release (letting the PC come down on it's own) and quick release (using a release valve or water on the lid). I would start off with 12 minutes and quick release, doing a toothpick test when you open the PC. If you want to go longer, you can be back up to pressure in a few minutes, and process them 4 more minutes and check again.

As with most pressure cooking recipes you do need to go heavier on the rub than normal, and then lightly re-season before they hit the grill.

Use a trivet, or a couple of tin foil balls to keep the ribs out of the liquid when in the PC.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simmering traditionally