MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Roadside Chicken recipe questions

Thinking about doing a Roadside Chicken cook and found Moose's recipe, and that was my original plan. I looked around a bit more and found a few other very similar recipes, several of which call for marinating the chicken in the basting sauce recipe first, then using a fresh batch for the actual cook.

Anybody got any thoughts or experience on this?

Also was planning on doing it on a Weber Kettle, but contemplating using the BGE as thunderstorms are in the forecast and it would be easier for me due to the BGE being (mostly) under cover. Any differences in technique?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is how I do mine I marinate it over night make a double batch of sauce 1/2 to cook with & 1/2 to marinate it. The marinate is actually a clone of Chivetas chicken marinate.
If you want "the original Road Side Chicken recipe" do a google search for Cornell Chicken it's is really farking good too.

Last edited by Bludawg; 08-31-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Every time I've had it its been open top cooking over open pits. There is so much veg oil in the baste that I think you would have a smokey(and not in a good way, the black soot kind of way), greasy, fiery mess on your hands. I would opt for the weber with no lid, I think the appeal to this style is the baste dripping on the coals and seasoning the birds via smoke and steam. Just my $.02.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

I've never found the need to marinate Roadside chicken as it comes out plenty flavorful. It couldn't hurt, though. I'd be more inclined to brine before marinating roadside chicken, but that's just me.

As to what cooker to use, the BGE wouldn't be a good choice as you have to mop the chicken every few mins. A weber kettle would be okay, but I'd go with your Santa Maria Pit as it's completely open. My BIL does roadside chicken on his Santa Maria pit all the time, and the skin is always super crispy, which is always a huge plus.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

I didn't even look at his signature to see the santa maria pit, hands down that's your winner.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
I didn't even look at his signature to see the santa maria pit, hands down that's your winner.
Yep, a Santa Maria pit is the ultimate roadside chicken cooking machine!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the replies

Due to time constraints I'll marinate for a couple of hours, then dry, then cook.

I'll go with the Santa Maria Pit (I'm doing an awful lot of cooking on that thing these days - even bought a little "tailgater" model that will just comfortably fit a good size Tri Tip to take Camping ) and mop frequently.

Any idea as about how long to get them done? (just for planning - I Thermapen just about everything)

Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Any idea as about how long to get them done? (just for planning - I Thermapen just about everything)
Are you using whole chickens, or legs and/or thighs?

As with any chicken cook where the pieces are cut up, I add the breasts about 10-15 mins into the cook so everything is done at the same time. However, with the Santa Maria pit, you could just put the breasts onto the cooler side.

I'd budget about an hour and a half, just depends how close to the coals you are cooking. With roadside, you're better off keeping the grate higher. MY BIL does whole legs and they're usually done in about two hours.

BTW, hope you'll join us at the SoCal bash on Sept 21! Link is in my signature...

Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Are you using whole chickens, or legs and/or thighs?

As with any chicken cook where the pieces are cut up, I add the breasts about 10-15 mins into the cook so everything is done at the same time. However, with the Santa Maria pit, you could just put the breasts onto the cooler side.

I'd budget about an hour and a half, just depends how close to the coals you are cooking. With roadside, you're better off keeping the grate higher. MY BIL does whole legs and they're usually done in about two hours.

BTW, hope you'll join us at the SoCal bash on Sept 21! Link is in my signature...
I cut up a whole chicken, so I'll be moving smaller pieces off to the side and/or putting them on at different times.

Hoping to make the SoCal Bash - responded earlier, but have been negligent in checking in (too much going on - almost lost the house in the "Silver Fire" and yesterdays Thunderstorms caused few problem (flowing ash/mud/water everywhere - drying out now. Filled my pond with crud)

Old 08-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

I halve chickens, never have cut them up to grill. Any advantage to cutting up? I probe the thigh and breasts.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
TheWolfePit
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies

Due to time constraints I'll marinate for a couple of hours, then dry, then cook.

I'll go with the Santa Maria Pit (I'm doing an awful lot of cooking on that thing these days - even bought a little "tailgater" model that will just comfortably fit a good size Tri Tip to take Camping ) and mop frequently.

Marinating for a couple hours is best in my opinion. Too long and the vinegar will make the meat mushy. The more you baste the more intense the flavor gets.

Shouldn't take any longer than 45-60 minutes to cook. Good luck! You're in for a treat!!
TheWolfePit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Came out pretty good - wife liked it more than I did. Now she wants to try boneless/skinless and see how that tastes with this recipe..... I'm thinking the Cornell recipe.
They ended up getting cooked in just under 50 minutes - didn't get the fire started very well. I think if I had a better fire and cooked them a bit slower (hotter fire with the grill farther away), I would have been happier.

When is the SoCal Bash thread going to restart/reappear? Gotta get the details down so I can try to plan for it.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Moose

Quote:
Came out pretty good - wife liked it more than I did. Now she wants to try boneless/skinless and see how that tastes with this recipe..... I'm thinking the Cornell recipe.
They ended up getting cooked in just under 50 minutes - didn't get the fire started very well. I think if I had a better fire and cooked them a bit slower (hotter fire with the grill farther away), I would have been happier.

When is the SoCal Bash thread going to restart/reappear? Gotta get the details down so I can try to plan for it.
Try it again with the fire/grate adjustment you mentioned. Slower is better for this, IMO. Was the skin crispy?

SoCal bash is Saturday, Sept 21. Speaking of roadside chicken, The Missus and I will be doing it over an open pit at the bash. I'm going to start a head count thread in the bash subforum today.