MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Question Which Size of Thighs Do You Prefer?

We picked up some family size packs of thighs today for our first competition and after sorting for size there are almost equal amounts of large and medium sizes. I plan on trimming for the standard pillow shape and am curious if there is an advantage to select one size over the other. I looked closely at thighs when judging at two comps this month, and most of the thigh turn in's appeared to be from the medium size.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

I do legs but I usually go with medium sized legs. They cook quicker, not that I need them to do so......I guess I’m just saying the medium sized chicken, whether legs or thighs, have less chance of getting stubborn on you and not reaching desired temps in the time you allotted, and they are easier to get into the box in a way that is pleasing to my eyes.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Out of the package I want them 7-8 oz and after trimmed anything less than 4oz goes in the trash. I want them between 4oz and 4.5oz.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

As identical as possible and definitely not on the small side out of the package.

You'll also have more consistent results if you do what tduffy does and weigh them to get them very close in sized when trimmed

Hope this helps. Don't overthink your first contest. Go have fun and goal should be to turn in all 4 meats without DQ

Old 08-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

Any consistent size will work, just make sure they (all 6) fit in the box!

Old 08-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker

135g plus or minus 5g trimmed. Yes, I weigh them while trimming. But....as said for your 1st comp, don't sweat it. Have fun and good luck.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for those tips on weight, it makes perfect sense...... My 'large' thighs came in between 4.0 and 4.2 ounces after trimming. I trimmed 18 of 'em, and vacuum sealed them on squares cut from a disposable cutting board thinking this might be handy when handling and injecting/seasoning after meat inspection.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I like thighs soft and smooth. Not fat and not boney. As long as they look good at the beach.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote