MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #1
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad
Default Concession Trailer Equipment & Setup - Getting started

Food Trailer Folks, what is the one piece of cooking equipment that you consider indispensable (outside of your smoker)? Is there a piece that you never use?
I don’t want to be limited to traditional BBQ. I want to be able to do a fried item or cook a smokey gumbo or etouffee when it’s cold outside.

Any advice that you would give?

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Whatever size refrigerator you're thinking about putting in there, get the next size up.

Our stove is indispensable. We use big double-boilers to keep our hot sides hot without burning them. Our griddle is just another flat surface on which to put stuff. It gets used occasionally if we cater a breakfast, but other than that it really doesn't get used.

At least a three-well steam table. It can be configured all kinds of ways with half, 1/3, 1/4 or other size pans to hold a variety of items.

I wish we had a warmer installed in our trailer, it would have made things easier.

Shelves or cabinets. You'll never have enough storage space. Cabinets are nice because then you don't need 3800 bungee cords holding everything in while you're moving.

100 lb. propane tank is nice, two would be better. We only have one and get ours filled every week.

Serving window. Get it on the back of the trailer if you can (some venues charge you by the amount of frontage space you take up. Eight feet is a lot less than 16 feet.) Get a quality window installed with a screen that slides side-to-side. Those cheap storm windows and screens that slide up and down will kill your fingers eventually.

I'll probably have more ideas later.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
I'll probably have more ideas later.
Thanks, so much. Keep them coming.

So it goes - Vonnegut
Old 07-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
nachos4life
Take a breath!

we run very minimal equipment, but our Alto Shaam and Carlisle holding cabinets are necessities.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

You may also want to consider going to an RV store and buying every single wattage adapter made in the history of electricity. Whatever kind of power cord your trailer comes with, but the adapters to change them. It's a virtual guarantee that you're going to get somewhere, get ready to plug in and it won't be the right plug and you won't have the right adapter.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Serving window. Get it on the back of the trailer if you can (some venues charge you by the amount of frontage space you take up. Eight feet is a lot less than 16 feet.) Get a quality window installed with a screen that slides side-to-side. Those cheap storm windows and screens that slide up and down will kill your fingers eventually.
The trailer that I'm looking at has a small porch on the back for my smoker, so unfortunately I don't have a choice but to go with a side window.

So it goes - Vonnegut
Old 07-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
You may also want to consider going to an RV store and buying every single wattage adapter made in the history of electricity. Whatever kind of power cord your trailer comes with, but the adapters to change them. It's a virtual guarantee that you're going to get somewhere, get ready to plug in and it won't be the right plug and you won't have the right adapter.
That's great advice. Thank you.

So it goes - Vonnegut
Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

So what do you think about warming cabinets vs. steam wells? It seems like it would be easier to serve out of a steam table, but a lot of folks have been pointing me toward an upright warming cabinet.

So it goes - Vonnegut
Old 07-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicket View Post
So what do you think about warming cabinets vs. steam wells? It seems like it would be easier to serve out of a steam table, but a lot of folks have been pointing me toward an upright warming cabinet.
Warming cabinet is to hold the food for multiple hours while you're in transit, or if things get finished early. Steam wells are to keep the food hot while serving. I've got a propane warming cabinet on the porch of my trailer and it's very convenient. I load up the food at about 8-9am, and a very small flame keeps everything right at 180-200° until I get on site and start getting everything ready to serve between 11-1130am.

Once I get on site I start pulling the pork, slicing the brisket, etc and that meat goes into the steam wells to stay warm during service. Right now I'm using chafing dishes because I was an idiot and didn't think a steam well was the way to go, but now I see it's absolutely the right decision. Chafing dishes work just fine, but every day I've got an entire prep table dedicated to chafing dishes, so it would have made more sense to just get a dedicated steam well instead.

I think Medic92 pretty much gave you some awesome advice and hit the nail on the head. I just started recently so I'm slowly working my way up to acquiring more useful equipment. Propane powered steam well will be the first thing I do, followed closely by looking at getting a 100Lb propane tank and cage installed on the trailer. Right now I'm running the 20Lb tanks and I'm exchanging them about every 3rd day. My smoker runs on wood but it has a propane assist, so once I wrap everything I put on the propane and can get some sleep without worrying about the temps.

Good luck with your trailer!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Steam tables only hold so much and a warming cabinet can be used to keep extra meat to refill the steam table. I'd have both if you could. Or you could go with a Cambro that's powered. They're pretty pricey too though.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #11
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone up for showing pics of the inside of your rigs?

So it goes - Vonnegut
Old 07-27-2018, 01:04 AM   #12
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BishopofBBQ

The CVAP is my favorite thing inside the trailer! Look into them and make sure you have one.
> Huge Insulated Cabinet #WhoDat1
> Pitmaker.com Grillmeister, 24"x48" Charcoal Grill
> Jambo Backyard Stickburner
> Pitmaker.com Vault Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker
@BishopofBBQ
PaulstheRibList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Anyone up for showing pics of the inside of your rigs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6o-j6vEb4
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
marbque
Got Wood.

great post here.