Vacuum sealing rice.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I've recently been given a 5 lb bag of rice that is nearing it's best by date. I'd like to cook it up and then use the vacuum sealer to store the rice. I'm planning on putting the cooked rice in silicone muffin pans, freezing them in the pans, then transferring the frozen pucks to vacuum seal bags and running them through the vacuum sealer.

I've read on the all knowing internet that frozen rice will last about 3 months in the freezer, but all the web sites I read talked about storing them in zip top freezer bags, not vacuum sealing them.

So my question to you all is:

How long do you think the rice will last once it's vacuum sealed?

Also, has anyone done this?

Is it white or brown rice?

White uncooked life is safe to cook and has a long shelf life, past its sell by date.
I am quite sure you can take your time in cooking it if it is well stored. Brown rice not so good for long storage.
Hope that helps, just my humble opinion.

I do the opposite

When I get the rice I break it down into VAC bags in portions to fit my sealed container.

I then VAC seal them and store in cool dark place....

don't worry about expiration dates... been doing this for 10+ years and still alive and rice taste fine.

I usually buy a 25lb bag Thai Jasmine Rice and store it in a Cambro. It lasts forever. Never thought of cooking and vacu-sealing.

Why bother. You could just store uncooked portions in vac-sealed bags or not. Not much of a need to.

By the time you thaw the cooked rice and re-heat it safety(still taking a chance), you could have cooked a fresh batch of rice and not have to worry.

If you figure in the time you spent cooking it and freezing it in the first place, overall you wasted a lot of time.

In mainland China they put a premium on aged rice that has been stored properly, ie kept in containers that are bug proof. I have some jasmine rice that was 4 years old when I used the last of it up. I just kept it in a sealed container in the basement.

Cooked rice should be refrigerated and used within 3 days. I use it for stir fry dishes.

I buy rice in 20 pound bags and use a rice screen before I vac-seal into cooking portions and I also add some spices before I vac-seal and refrigerate.

I have frozen soups and dishes that had rice in them and the texture was greatly effected.

I know I don't have to vac-seal the raw rice, but it keeps any insects out and the refrigeration will keep any rice worms in check that may be in the rice after harvesting.

But the main reason I bag is that they are in ready to cook packages, cut the bag open and put it in the rice pot and add the other ingredients.

So I've recently been given a 5 lb bag of rice that is nearing it's best by date. I'd like to cook it up and then use the vacuum sealer to store the rice. I'm planning on putting the cooked rice in silicone muffin pans, freezing them in the pans, then transferring the frozen pucks to vacuum seal bags and running them through the vacuum sealer.

I've read on the all knowing internet that frozen rice will last about 3 months in the freezer, but all the web sites I read talked about storing them in zip top freezer bags, not vacuum sealing them.

So my question to you all is:

How long do you think the rice will last once it's vacuum sealed?

Also, has anyone done this?
A quick Google says uncooked it's good for 4-5 years past the printed date. Just keep the bugs out.

I keep white rice in a Tupperware cereal container with a flip open lid. I've kept rice in it for several years and it was fine.

I put rice in a big mason jar and vac seal it. Stored for a couple of years and no problems. Brown rice by the way.

If this is purely a shelf life thing and not a quick reheat, then no need to cook and freeze. Just vacuum seal in 1lb portions. Get some silica packets and add them before sealing and it will last for years past the expiration date.

FYI- improperly stored reheated wild rice was the prime suspect in a 2800$ emergency room bill about 7 years ago. Never thru up for so long so hard in my life -

FYI. This may have nothing to do with what you’re asking but it’s good info.

https://homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/is-it-dangerous-to-reheat-rice/

So wild rice isn't actually rice, it's a grass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_rice

I'm not saying you didn't get sick, I'm just saying that it may not have been caused by the bateria that is the concern in rice, which is bacillus cereus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

Eating Wild rice and pinion nuts in a fishing town. ER Doc -a fly fisherman- thought that was entertaining. He said “probably”- the protocol for food-air and or water borne were the same. Zofran and opiates to stop day three of spasmodic puking-Poked, prodded and blood/urine tests. 4.5 hours in ER. Two fat bags of fluid and two antibiotics that hurt my stomach for quite a while. There was another missile that was not oral :/)

He told me to stick with hamburgers.

Last edited:
It's rice.

Just put it in a sealed container (we use large Tupperware jobs) and store it in the pantry.

No need to do any of the things you are suggesting.

I store my rice in a dispenser similar to this. Each push of the lever gives a measured amount of rice. Push twice, put it into the rice cooker and add water to corresponding mark. Rinse first, bugs float to the top. If you like sticky Japanese style rice, soak for an hour, change water and cook. Been doing it this way for over 40 years.

b9F5owMQMWAE5-qyCUVKk11E86gkUFEPpyZR3-8YSXTvFundIViNivmaUKQimjkYgUdexS8Gl462N-HSnytOkfOEo5-lQBpckVvT2YtEkJB_WpI_FJAYnGMY9ABi_toos0WUIPQLMDxc_wXLYVDxH-Km30JBfOelE2a7x2bZXmw5iHW4TGiymJ1qeb_SMKjVHENU2EBXykuU35Y3x5w=s800-pd-e365-pc0xffffff

Put it uncooked in the freezer and it will last about forever.

Back