rib eye in a pan help for us noobs

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
i was reading JMseltzers post on his rib eye cook. (by the way JM, they looked wicked good and so do those rolls. i need the recipe please)

Anyway, i have never ever cooked a rib eye in a pan. However i have cooked other steaks such as chuck and cheap sir loin and it tasted like LIVER! EWE gross. sorry for the people who like liver, i envy you, i for one, can not handle the falvor. So how does one cook a rib eye in the house with black iron whilst not burning down the house?

thanks

Pics would be nice

EIDT
Thanx Jm and I noticed its JM Setzler, not Seltzer. haha sorry

Last edited:
I'm following this thread too... LT, I will post the bread recipe in the other thread..

It is doable but you better have a REALLY good VENTED exaust fan(ventahood) to do it correctly.Like blackening fish inside.

i use clarified butter and olive oil. get my cast iron med high and sear both sides,when i flip it over to sear the other side, i turn down the heat, by the time the sear is over, the temp on the pan is at a proper cooking temp and it perfectly cooks the steak to med rare.

i use clarified butter and olive oil. get my cast iron med high and sear both sides,when i flip it over to sear the other side, i turn down the heat, by the time the sear is over, the temp on the pan is at a proper cooking temp and it perfectly cooks the steak to med rare.

I have done it on a grill and inside the house when I had a commercial vent in place.Do you do this inside the house and if so what type venting system do you have? Just wonderin.Searin temps in a pan make smoke in my expreience.

i clarify butter quickly in the microwave. i can cook with it at alot higher temps and don't get the smoke. the olive oil mixed with it also helps if i have to cook more than 1 batch of steaks in the pan.

Gotcha! Thanks.I knew addin OO would raise the smoke point of butta,never thought of clarifyin first.Good tip.:thumb:

I have done it on a grill and inside the house when I had a commercial vent in place.Do you do this inside the house and if so what type venting system do you have? Just wonderin.Searin temps in a pan make smoke in my expreience.

i have none. i have a microwave overtop but it just blows it back into the kitchen. i crack the window but generally i don't have much smoke.

It is doable but you better have a REALLY good VENTED exaust fan(ventahood) to do it correctly.Like blackening fish inside.

well dang, i have none of that. so then i guess its on the grill with the black iron pan. OR i could install a fan in the window next to the stove and try to get as much as possible out.

thqanks

I never imagined there would problems for people; cooking a Ribeye, or
any other steak for that matter. I've cooked countless steaks in a skillet.
They come out great; they just lack the flavor of the grill, but they still
have great Beef flavor...with no smoke.

Now, I just cook them in an Electric Skillet because it is easier. I have
severe pain in my feet and legs, from Peripheral Neuropathy, and it is hard
to stand in front of the stove to cook. So I got me an electric skillet so I
could cook on the counter and lean on the counter while I am cooking, to
make it easier.

If you still want, I'll cook a Ribeye Steak tomorrow and take pics so you
can see how it looks. I don't use any butter, or oil. I just season the
steak and put it in the hot skillet...just the same as I would do with
a skillet on the stove top.

Last edited:
how do you clearify butta in the microwave? How long do you heat the butter in the microwave till you strain it?

tahnks

I never imagined there would problems for people; cooking a Ribeye, or
any other steak for that matter. I've cooked countless steaks in a skillet.
They come out great; they just lack the flavor of the grill, but they still
have great Beef flavor...with no smoke.

Now, I just cook them in an Electric Skillet because it is easier. I have
severe pain in my feet and legs, from Peripheral Neuropathy, and it is hard
to stand in front of the stove to cook. So I got me an electric skillet so I
could cook on the counter and lean on the counter while I am cooking, to
make it easier.

If you still want, I'll cook a Ribeye Steak tomorrow and take pics so you
can see how it looks. I don't use any butter, or oil. I just season the
steak and put it in the hot skillet...just the same as I would do with
a skillet on the stove top.

ah yes, neuropathy. My mom has that from complications of type 1 diabetes. She has her degree in medicine and nursing so she worked at the U of U on the research team for type1 diabetes and stuff.

Anyway, i just have never cooked a expensive steak in a cast iron skillet. So im game for trying one, i just do not want it to taste like liver. thanks

These other cats have techniques I have not tried indoors.Not sayin they are not right,but anytime I do a REAL sear,there is smoke.I sear on my egg,CI grate,750f +.Outside.I have seared on a CI griddle/skillet on a Weber(charcoal) and also directly on the coals.Good Luck.

Unfortunately, I've never used a cast iron skillet before. I have only used aluminum
with a non stick coating, but I don't see why you would get an off flavor with
cast iron.

As Gore mentioned, grease can be a problem. I just trim as much fat off the steak as possible, and while
cooking I will fold up a paper towel and put it in the skillet right next to the steak so it will soak up
the grease before it has a chance to splatter everywhere.

If you use just plan salt, you will not have nearly as bad of smoking issues, put any types of powder or black pepper on it and it will burn causing really bad smoke.

So buy a ribeye steak (best steak IMO) and there's no reason to add any butter or any type of fat. It has enough fat to keep things happy.

Either use a cast iron skillet or a higher end pan that is thick/nice enough to keep heat well spread.

IMG_6424.jpg

Veal rib chop, pretty much a bone in ribeye.

IMG_6412.jpg

Nothing but salt added.

Dsc06657.jpg

Ribeye in a pan.

Dsc06674.jpg

Little did the cat know....

=)

I get my cast iron pan smokin hot on the stove while the grill is getting hot then take the pan outside and put the steaks in - 2 mins. then flip - add pat of butter and into hot grill (400+) until done to your liking - only way we make them now and the steaks always turn out great.

Back