Boning Knives

I have one of each and both get used.
I have the Victorinox Fibrox Boning Knives that I picked up from Amazon when they were running a holiday sale.

They all have their uses. I have 3 stiff, semi-stiff, and flexible. My recommendation is to buy some good cheap ones, and get the set, you will find you use them all. Look at Victorinox or Dexter Russell. Both good knives and are pretty cheap for a good knife.

I’m slowly upgrading my kitchen knives. What’s better for boning knives, flexible or stiff?

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I’m going with the Mercer renaissance. Very good reviews and under $50 a knife. I don’t do much at all with seafood so I’ll probably go with the stiff.

I have both flexible and stiff and use both flexible not just for seafood love my victorinox

Last edited:
I always look for CI and knives at garage sales. Some need a little TLC and some are just fine.

I love the Granny's Boning knife I picked up for $1 out of a large box full of mostly crappy knives.

This is the knife I use the most

f0b308ddb9366fbea2a10658b3feeed3.jpg

I got a set of Old Hickory knives that I restored and I really like the stiff boning knives. They don't get used as much but when I do use them I like how they work.

il_fullxfull.1018404167_9d21.jpg

These are not my pictures just examples I found online to show what I am talking about

I’m going with the Mercer renaissance. Very good reviews and under $50 a knife. I don’t do much at all with seafood so I’ll probably go with the stiff.

I have the Mercer Culinary Genesis flex and its SUPER SHARP. It is flexible, but I can slice decent bacon slices with it

I have one of each and both get used.
I have the Victorinox Fibrox Boning Knives that I picked up from Amazon when they were running a holiday sale.

+++++++++++ I use my fancy expensive knives (Shun - Bob Kramer) for kitchen cooking. For my outdoor cooking, I use my Victorinox knives. Besides the boning knives, the 8" breaking knife is wonderful. Plus, with the Fibrox handle you can out them in the dishwasher as long as you keep them separated. I use a Dexter slicing knife on my cooked briskets.

Did someone beat me to a "stiff boning" joke??........(looks above).........dammit..........

Thanks for the tips. Staying with cheaper knives just cause I don’t trust the wife to take care of a nice set. That and I would be pissed if I chipped an expensive knife on a bone or anything.

I get out the stiff one when processing deer. For day to day I use a Victorinox. They are a great value.

I go back and forth on briskets. I use a stiff blade for the really hard fat and then the flexible for the more delicate trimming close to the meat. And I always use curved knives rather than straight.

I have a stiff and a flexible boning knife. They both are used regularly. They are F. Dick knives from Germany. I have been very pleased and I believe they were less than $20 each. A +1 for the Fibrox handles on the Victorinox knives, love them when hands are bloody.

Back