Feral Hog - Pulled Pork

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Have two shoulders I plan on smoking and pulling tomorrow for the various games (as well as 4 racks of spare ribs) -

Both shoulders are around 3.5 to 4 pounds

Soaked them both in buttermilk last evening

Currently they are in a salt/brown sugar brine - plan on putting a rub on them tonight.

Plan for cook is to smoke to around 165 to 180 - then wrap in foil and bring them up to pulling temperature. Everything I have read said they are much leaner than domestic hog - so after the first hour or so plan on draping them with some thick cut bacon to keep them moist until the wrapping stage.

Anyone have any history with smoking feral hogs - am I still look at 75 to 90 minutes a pound? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you

They get done somewhat quicker, as they are leaner. I don't treat them any differently that domesticated, other than checking them sooner, time wise...

Last wild hog shoulder I cooked only took 4 hrs at 275-300,2 hours unwrapped then 2 in foil, rubbed with EVOO and Adams Rib Tickler w/ a little habanero powder. It weighed about 5 pounds.
Left the meat on the bone and let guests tear off pieces and wrap in a tortilla hot off the cooker. It was delicious:)

Larry

I have done it, not a huge fan of smoking them. Just too lean for my taste. IMO, the only thing on a feral hog, that doesn't belong in sausage, is the loin. Sounds like you are on the right track, and maybe you will like it. It appears others do. You will probably want to have a sauce with it.

Been a while since I've done wild pigs but your plan sounds good. I'd probably wrap at around 160 and would even inject with apple juice and apple cider vinegar for a little extra flavor and moisture.

Good idea on the injection - will hit them with some apple juice before putting rub on tonight

Thank you

Lately I have been smoking boneless Duroc pork butts and they come heavily trimmed and are very lean. So I remove them from their netting and spread them out in large disposable pans I get two 3.5 to 4.5 boneless butts per pan. After about 3.5 hours I seal the pans with foil. All the juices they release are captured in the pan and being they are boneless and removed from the netting they take on plenty of smoke due to the surface area. Once they are completely tender I will pull the pans and let rest, when I pull the meat I use all the retained juices. From the feedback I have received these are the best butts I have turned out, keep in mind there is no sauce, no injection, no brine just all natural pork.

I have done it, not a huge fan of smoking them. Just too lean for my taste. IMO, the only thing on a feral hog, that doesn't belong in sausage, is the loin. Sounds like you are on the right track, and maybe you will like it. It appears others do. You will probably want to have a sauce with it.

We shoot our share of hogs around here...
67c81eb74fe6624d872e598a08ea6449.jpg

... and any > than a shoat doesn’t make it to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure what you are doing with the bigger ones, but they make great sausage , and salami. Just hit up a local butcher for some fatback. You might have to wait until the day they cut, but they practically give it away.

We shoot our share of hogs around here...
67c81eb74fe6624d872e598a08ea6449.jpg

... and any > than a shoat doesn’t make it to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back