MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Ya those plates look cool, fun to cook on for sure. If you ever use the salt method again cut a potato in half and scrub with that. It looks like a nice griddle for outdoor cooks!
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Great thread, lunch. Good looking burger too!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
Ya those plates look cool, fun to cook on for sure. If you ever use the salt method again cut a potato in half and scrub with that. It looks like a nice griddle for outdoor cooks!

Yep, great idea and had I thought of it or Nitrile gloves yesterday, my fingernails would have thanked me.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Very nice I wonder if that would fit on the Large BGE

@Big George's BBQ, you probably already have a ceramic platesetter for your BGE, but while poking around the web for BBQ accessories I came across a number of cast iron platesetters. There are some on Amazon, some independent seller sites, a review on nakedwhiz.com.

Had the Goldens' not come with the searing plate I might have considered one of these though the BGE versions probably aren't the correct size for my cooker. The ones I've seen all have a grooved cooking surface, probably not ideal for griddling, but something to consider. Then again, a large griddle or cast iron skillet would serve the same purpose.

If I ever damage my BGE platesetter I use in the Bubba Keg (going strong after 8 years), I'd consider buying one of the cast iron versions as a replacement.

-lunchman

Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #20
BBQ Bacon
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dean

Nothing wrong with that burger!
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Beautiful burger, Lunchman. Looks delicious!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #22
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Smashburgers Part 2

Yesterday's Smashburgers were a success, too bad my plated pics were terrible. But that's ok, we'll make up for it with plated pics of the leftovers today.

I started out well before my guests arrived with some thick sliced bacon out on the searing plate -

Makes for a ton of grease which can just be pushed off the edge into the coals. I was surprised there weren't any flare ups. Since the Goldens' firebox is a solid piece of cast iron it makes for extra seasoning. This isn't something I'd be trying with a ceramic Kamado.

Grilled up some peppers, Baby Bellas and onions for toppings -

Searing plate temp, still hotter than I'd like (which would be under 400). I'll need to close the vents down even further next time. -

Quarter pound burgers are on. This time I made them in advance rather than scooping them out on the fly, so they were uniformly sized and easier to deal with -

The Brioche buns I made the day before on the Keg are buttered and toasting on the Keg in the Lodge pizza pan -

The buns turned out fantastic, perfect density, great taste. I'll definitely be baking these again.

Getting the cheese on after flipping -

Best plated pic from yesterday, served with baked beans and fries -

And some shots of today's leftovers for lunch -

That's it. As always, thanks for checking in on the continuing saga of Smashburgers on the Goldens' and Brioche Buns on the Keg!

Regards,
-Dom