MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
slowmo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : John
Default Pellet smoker

I am new to pellet smokers and somewhat partial to my offset new braunfels bandera. Bought a pellet smoker from Sams i and am seeing some pretty large Temp swings.
Wanted to get something I could more or less set and forget when I am cooking for just me and the wife
Anyone have any info on these or can point me in the right direction
slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had the same issue and was steered towards upgrading the controller to a Savannah stoker

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Joshw
is Blowin Smoke!

What are you calling a large temp swing? I would say do some cooks on it, and just trust the controller. If the food comes out good, don't worry about the temp swings. If it doesn't, then worry about it.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jermo/Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
What are you calling a large temp swing? I would say do some cooks on it, and just trust the controller. If the food comes out good, don't worry about the temp swings. If it doesn't, then worry about it.
Agreed! When mine turns on, the temp when I close the lid will go 50 or more degrees higher for 20 to 30 minutes. During the cooking process, after temp settles, I could still see a 20 to 30 degree flux depending on what point the feed cycle is. When I turn the temp down to SMOKE (180°ish), from say 350°, the temp will shoot up 10° or 20° and then remain hot for easily 20 minutes before it will creep down.

Food always turns out good!

Old 09-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
slowmo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : John

You all are describing exactly what I am experiencing
I will just not worry about the 25 to 40 degree variance I'm seeing and cook according to the temp of the meat
So on long cooks (brisket, large turkey) I'm assuming a person would use the smoke setting for 2 to 3 hours and then to the desired temp on the cook side and watch the IT of the meat
slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

My Yoder usually has temp swings of 30+/- each way. When temp is averaged out over the period of cooking it is normally within 5 of the set temp. Good enough for me. I have averaged it out numerous times and different length cooks.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Just let er rip and don’t be too worried about the temp swings...likely not much different than your home oven

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->