Fate of a cracked ceramic kamado

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I could use some advice from the brethren. Some of you know that last year I replaced my Bayou Classic Cypress ceramic with the Golden's Cast Iron. The Bayou Classic had suffered a fatal lid crack.

Unfortunately it's been sitting in my backyard for nearly a year and a half and it's time to do something about it. Mrs. lunchman wants it gone even more than I do, no surprise there.

I can't and won't sell it, there's no guarantee that it can be repaired. I'd offer it up for free, but whoever takes it might want some type of reassurance that the lid can be pieced back together with some sort of ceramic cement. I kinda doubt it can, which is why I'm asking for some advice here. Bayou Classic no longer makes this kamado, there are no replacement domes available.

As I'm typing this, I'm leaning more and more towards the option of donning my safety gear and taking a sledgehammer to it, putting the pieces out in the trash and recycling the stand. Just soliciting other opinions.

OK, some pics.

Looks ok from the front (except for that chunk o' lid lying on the base) -

The dome from the outside (I think there might be a slight bit of air leakage :razz: )-

And from the inside -

Closeup of Humpty Dumpty's broken piece -

As a kamado, it was an o.k. cooker, not superb. It's no BGE that's for sure and probably the reason BC stopped selling them.

Thoughts?

-Dom

I am dealing with a health issue, so I can;t saw exactly when, but I can check on their warehouse outlet store and see if they have a lid for it. The warehouse is where the China containers come in, and they sort and box the stuff they sell. They have scratch and dent stuff in an area of the show room you can sort through. I haven't looked at the Kamado stuff, but you can put together a fryer kit pretty cheap, last time I was there...

Disclose the details and put it up for free on Craigslist. People on there will take anything.

Hercules stove cement might just stick humpty together again.
Not sure how anyone getting it for free can insist on assurances it can be fixed.
Might want to pose the question on kamadoguru.com, they're a lot more tuned in to ceramics over there.

I'd use it as a planter or kill it. I wouldn't pass something broken along to another (free or not). I'd be too worried that they'd end up being the village idiot and hurt something or someone after having "forgotten" that the item was broken.

Thanks all, for the very useful insight. And thanks, @mytymouz for the offer to check out the BC factory remnants. I had called them right after it cracked; they checked their inventory and assured me there were no spare parts available as they had discontinued this grill about four years ago.

I'm leery of somebody grilling with this if it's been fixed with some toxic ceramic cement. I may put it up on my local craigslist to see if there are any takers, but I think its ultimate fate will be in pieces. It served me well for the years I used it but it's time to do some cleaning on the back deck.

-lunchman

On the night before trash day, I'd walk it out to the curb and leave it there. A scrounger or a scrapper will have it in the back of their truck before you get back to the house. Their whole life is "as-is".

why don't you see how a 22.5 inch weber lid fits on it? also you can use it as an open hibachi for grilling.

Alright, had a great meeting with Dom last night and now the cooker is my problem. :) I also got to check out his Golden's cast iron cooker which was insanely impressive.

I did some research last night since it seems I have one chance to repair this properly. I like the idea of an epoxy, but assuming this smoker will hit 500-700 degrees, I think that rules out a lot of them.

My first option is just to rebuild the broken section out of refractory cement, but first that will be ugly and second I am worried that this is a high-load area of the lid.

My second choice is Rutland cement. I think I used this before to glue the fiberglass rope seal to my BGE years ago. It sticks like no one's business.

https://www.rutland.com/p/10/black-furnace-cement

I fear it may be too thick and cause alignment issues. I probably would also clean the backside and try to glue in some fiberglass mat to give it some reinforcement.

I really liked this kiln repair video and the liquidy glue they used, but I am afraid it will not stick to ceramic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpUedqtHr8I

I am not sure how a regular refractory cement will work since it is so thick and will cause alignment issues.

I will keep everyone updated with my progress, any other suggestions?

Chris

Back