First experiment w/boneless thighs: Hvy Pron

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, I decided to try a little Frankenchicken. Here's what it looked like:

I deboned the thighs and marinated the meat in Alabama White BBQ sauce for about 6 hours.

December09097.jpg

Seasoned the meat with a little Rebel Yell Rub.

December09098.jpg

Rolled it and wrapped the scraped skin back around it and seasoned it a little more.

December09099.jpg

Dropped it in my little ProQ

December09100.jpg

Put the lid on..

December09101.jpg

...and ran it at 250 for about 2.5 hours. Et VOILA!

December09103.jpg

Wow, great. I have been seeing the Pro Q around recently, how is it treating you?

Looks fantastic!

I have the ProQ XL and it's chicken makin' momma.

Alabama White sauce? Never heard of it, but it sure looks like some good stuff, What's in it?

Wow, great. I have been seeing the Pro Q around recently, how is it treating you?

I LOVE it! It is the easiest cooker I've ever had. The stackers make it very versatile and it holds a LOT of meat for such a small little cooker. Plus, being able to move between stacks to mop or flip w/o taking a grate out and worrying about dropping it is worth every small penny I paid for it.

Alabama White sauce? Never heard of it, but it sure looks like some good stuff, What's in it?
Alabama White is a mayonnaise-based sauce. Basically, it's mayonnaise, vinegar, and spices. I use a little worcestershire and liquid smoke too, but still a pretty simple sauce.

That sounds really good!:hungry:

I am going to have to guess it was the mayo that made the skin rubbery, since mayo is good for making skin softer. Probably when combined with a scraped skin it makes for that. Just guessing though.

Chicken looks fantastic,
I made a batch of the white sauce recently using the recipe Chris Lilly shares in his recent Big Bob Gibson cookbook; I like it, but next time I need to use it like you did for a longer time to marinate instead of just using it for a quick bath - it'll probably turn out a bit better.

I love using a Bob Gibson clone on skinless, boneless thighs doing what we call "dip and flip chicken". I like how you reassembled these with the skin, that presentation always looks so good, I've just been too lazy to try it. I need to get around to it!

Great job on the thighs!

That sounds really good!:hungry:

I am going to have to guess it was the mayo that made the skin rubbery, since mayo is good for making skin softer. Probably when combined with a scraped skin it makes for that. Just guessing though.
Could be. But the skin wasn't marinated. I deboned and trimmed the meat prior to marinating. But there was still a good amount of the sauce left on the chicken when I rewrapped it, so it's possible.

I have to admit that I'm against the whole de-boning skin scraping thing but... those do look really really good. :hungry: :thumb:

Back