charcoal baskets

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Got a question on these charcoal baskets ive seen yall talking about. Are the benificial to any type of smoker? i use one of the small chimney grates.(cant think of the right name) lol. for my logs in my smoker, i start out with bout half a bag of K-briq then throw a few mesquite or oak logs on top once it gets goin. seems to do fine although i have to tend my fire alot. would one of those baskets help with keep my temp more constant? and also would it benifit to insulate my firebox? its made out of 1/4" flat steel. maybe line the bottom with firebricks? thanks.

well sitting here at work all night i answered my own question through the search, think maybe all i need is a ash pan and elevated grate to keep the airflow constant. i do have a small corner opening in my firebox that i need to close that could possibly be making my temp flucuate.

FatDad, I just made my own cage/fire box and Im dying to see how it works. Im a novice welder so it doesnt look pretty but it'll be functional. My probem was that with just the flat grate, the coals would fall off and down to the ash pan when I poured in a new burning batch of briques. Next I'll make a U-shaped piece from 1/4" scrap to create a maze of sorts. My idea is to lay in unlit lump 2/3rds of the way around and dump in a lit batch on the open 3rd to get a long burn.

Gonna get with my step-dad and have him build me something when we start to finish out my trailer and add my fajita wok and dual turkey burners.

Welcome.

I have a Klose basket (S shaped maze). I only use it on overnight cooks. I'm gonna make a charcoal ring to keep the coals in a concentrated spot. I start with a chimney of briqs and go to all wood. I had place some smaller gauge expanded metal on my coal rack, cause 1/2 burnt coals can fall through without it. This has already helped my burn times.

so i would need to make it big enough to take up my firebox, and build a slide for it to bring it in and out? would be benificial for briskets and butts. will have to find a picture of the one u have and draw it out and weld it up over easter maybe if we have time.

Here's a pic with my basket.

Attachments

• MyKlose.jpg
    MyKlose.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 326
Nice rig Ty. Where do you keep your car? That Klose looks better in the driveway anyway

Last edited:
That was her homecoming last year. I took out all the grates and heaved her around to the backyard and about killed myself. 700lbs in the Texas sun in the summer.

Yeah, those don't look like "turf tires".

One thing is, you don't have to worry too much about someone stealing it!!

do you have tuning plates or a baffle of some sort in there? Dang nice pit though. id like to have one like that. for everyday use. guess ill start me a collection lol.

Back