recommendation Chiavettas

BBQdisciple

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I recently started using this marinade for BBQ chicken. it is hard to find. in fact I haven't seen it outside of the western NY area. I have family that sends it down.

Anyone else ever use this sauce? This forum has become my go to and I am surprised I've never seen it mentioned. Anyway, this stuff is so good and is always a hit, i just wanted to share. It is a real tangy vinegar type sauce. Here is a pretty close copycat recipe I use when I don't have a bottle of the real stuff:

2 cup white vinegar
1 cup veg oil
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
2 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
2 TBS white sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp celery salt

I marinade for at least 2 hours, then baste heavily with the sauce every 20 minutes or so while cooking thighs and legs at 275-300.

A staple here in WNY, I use it all the time at home. If you have a Wegmans near you they might have it on the shelves.

Closest Wegmans to me is up near DC. Need to make road trip there for some Chiavettas, Weber mustard, and Sahlen hot dogs. Need a local baker to be able to make a proper kimmelweck and then I'd have the best of both worlds here in the south.

I use it religiously.... Simply the best.

You can go to Chivetta's website and order by the case in small bottles or in larger jugs.

I have a recipe that comes close, but simply not as good as the real stuff...

This stuff is amazing, and I have yet to find anything similar out in CA

As a result, this is a bookmarked favorite: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chiavettas-Barbecue-Marinade-32-oz/dp/B001UKBDGY"]Chiavetta's Barbecue Marinade - 32 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

My local Price Chopper has it.. Great stuff. Way upstate new York and I mean way up

chiavetta's ups_order_form.pdf

Pricing includes UPS Ground Shipping...

Also found this on the web a long time ago... Comes close, but not as good as the real thing.
Howie's Chicken Marinade
Ingredients
2 quarts Vinegar (I used 2 cups cider and 6 cups distilled, because that is what I had, but I think all distilled would be fine)
1/2 cup Salt
1/4 cup Ground Black Pepper
1 head of Garlic - peeled
2 tablespoons Ground Ginger
2 tablespoons Ground Mustard Powder
1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 teaspoon Ground Celery Seed
1/2 cup Poultry Seasoning
2 tablespoons Cornstarch

Directions
Place garlic cloves, all the dry ingredients and 2 cups of vinegar in a blender and blend on high for a minute or so. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over med-low, stirring, until it starts to boil and the cornstarch thickens up the mixture. Remove from heat and mix with remaining 6 cups of vinegar and allow it to cool. Store in the used vinegar bottle until ready to use.

It's not hard to find. You can order chivettas from many online sites like buffalofoods.com. Weber mustard and Sahlen dogs too.

Chivettas has too much salt tho. 500 mg in a tablespoon. That's bad.

Publix sells kimmelweck.

See ya at the erie county fair for chivettas chicken.

Closest Wegmans to me is up near DC. Need to make road trip there for some Chiavettas, Weber mustard, and Sahlen hot dogs. Need a local baker to be able to make a proper kimmelweck and then I'd have the best of both worlds here in the south.

I had been laid up with an injury but I am getting around better now.

If you need someone to send you Chivitta's Marinade or Weber's Mustard I have a Wegmans near me and I would be happy assist you to purchase and ship them for you..

Just PM me and we'll work out the logistics.

Fredericksburg

Back