MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Chicken Feet-Some guidence

So, I'm about to make some chicken stock and picked up 2#s of chicken feet. Do I just add them with all of the other goodies? And should I remove the talons? Just need some clarification prior to embarking on this journey.

Thanks
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Not sure what condition or prep has been done to your feet but I remove the talons and parboil lightly to remove the outer skin.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

From the pictures I see on the internet they have a deep yellow skin on them and when they have been cleaned the skin is a pale yellow to almost white. I talked with the butcher and he said they had been cleaned. As for the talons, I got different answers when I searched the WEB. As always I get the best advice here. A picture of my feets is below, do they look clean
Kitchen stove

Last edited by Bluesman; 07-11-2022 at 02:31 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

They look pretty clean from here! The lighter color could be a difference in the breed. My black chickens have white feet, and my meat birds have dark yellow skin.
I remove the talons but it is not necessary. Kind of like when I cook a whole fish on the grill, I like to remove the fins... it's just a matter of preference but won't effect the flavor.

Good luck with them!
They are really good battered and fried.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

From what I've read they were probably scalded and clean right along with the bird. I'll boil up some water and try a few to see what happens. I also read the by removing the talons you release more of the natural goodness into the stock. Thanks for the input.
Kitchen stove

Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
buccaneer

Oh man, I sure hope you are doing some in black bean sauce, or you are really missing out!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

buccaneer, gonna try the stock first. There's a store in Milwaukee that had these packaged in a bunker, must have been several hundred pounds. Thanks for the idea, gonna try a bunch of stuff after the stock.
Kitchen stove