MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Gettinit
On the road to being a farker

I am a novice smoker but I do some plumbing and heating work. Instead of the 90's people are using for the exhausts try using tee's. Make it to where you can look through it, after installed. This will help with drafting and your windy situations. If you were to make a big cooker....they make rain caps that swivel when the wind blows.

Ohh, the longer the exhaust the harder it will want to pull and it gets worse when its cold outside.
Gettinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
time for my two cents worth of opinion....

click on the link under my signature.....
You know, I have read that 2 or 3 times. I should have bookmarked it. It is a very good read for sure. Thanks for posting that link for me again. I appreciate it. It is now bookmarked.

And by the sounds of things, I was mislead on the no water in the barrel. Off to the car wash it goes. I didn't get to it tonight. A couple things came up today on me unexpectedly... as usual.

One more quick notice I took, my 2) 3/4" ball valves I have on my risers; the openings in them valves don't look to be a 1/2" at best if that. The more things are stacking up on me the more I am thinking I got farking lucky my 1st 2 cooks.

I will be scouting the area for a nice 2" black pipe around 8" or so. I'll have to rig up a rain cap of sorts.

You know ...... scratches chin in serious thought ...... I do have another barrel. I could just leave mine as is. This gives me an excuse to build another one but even better this time.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
Gettinit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPorkchop View Post
You know, I have read that 2 or 3 times. I should have bookmarked it. It is a very good read for sure. Thanks for posting that link for me again. I appreciate it. It is now bookmarked.

And by the sounds of things, I was mislead on the no water in the barrel. Off to the car wash it goes. I didn't get to it tonight. A couple things came up today on me unexpectedly... as usual.

One more quick notice I took, my 2) 3/4" ball valves I have on my risers; the openings in them valves don't look to be a 1/2" at best if that. The more things are stacking up on me the more I am thinking I got farking lucky my 1st 2 cooks.

I will be scouting the area for a nice 2" black pipe around 8" or so. I'll have to rig up a rain cap of sorts.

You know ...... scratches chin in serious thought ...... I do have another barrel. I could just leave mine as is. This gives me an excuse to build another one but even better this time.

As far as the ball Valves go, go to a plumbing wholesaler and ask for full port ball Valves when or if you go with the Valves again.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

HD and Lowes sell full port ball valves as well, just need to look for that description.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
SmittyJonz

Gas Valves are cheaper but NOT full port and many grab them cuz of price and don't notice the restricted port. Gas Valves are $7-$10 and the Good Ones are $15-$18.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Gettinit

Phac blowes and home deep throat. You can get full ports for $12 or less.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
robbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Any chance the cold weather is part of the problem? Causing the smoke to condense on the smoker walls?
LBGE, WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill, MHP Grill, [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR] and [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR] Thermapens
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
landarc

It is possible, and likely, that there will be condensate that forms when you are lighting your cooker. But, one whiff will tell you if you have steam and light blue, or white smoke. They smell different. Steam has almost no odor coming out of a cooker, Thin Blue smells sweet and has a light smoke aroma, white smoke smells acrid, sour, and there is a distinct burning aroma.

Over the years, I have learned to trust my sense of smell early in a cook, to get a feel for how the cook is going. It gets a little less acute after hours in smoke, but, you can still tell good smoke from bad 90% of the time.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

As soon as the oldest boy gets home today we are going to load up the UDS in his truck and head to the care wash with simple green. I don;t think the wife would appreciate a 55 gallon UDS sticking out of her car trunk on the way to town and soaking wet on the way back

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Fwismoker

Not a fan of ever using water on the UDS...why take off seasoning? My preference is a quick blast of fire from a weed burner to clean things up.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
N8man
Babbling Farker

just in case someone needs a visual point of reference....

Bad Smoke...give the fire time to stabilize and burn clean...

Good Smoke...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
southpaw_1979

While I didn't look too closely at your build. Did you burn the barrel before you started the first time, any chance you have a lined barrel (paint or plastic resin).

I agree with the suggestion to wash and reseason.