Great BBQ in Milwaukee

McSpazatron

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a shout out for Iron Grate BBQ in Milwaukee, should any of the brethren find themselves in these parts. It’s about 2 miles from MKE. Fairly new establishment (maybe a year old?)

I did a recon run with a buddy and tried their brisket and pork ribs done “Milwaukee style” (more on that later). Both meats were completly legit BBQ. The real thing! No joke! The brisket had perfect bark, they offered the option of slices with both point and flat, and they plated it just how I would have, with 3 or 4’cubes of real burnt ends (meaning no sauce, just some pieces from the edges off the point). The brisket is sliced right in front of you.

The pork ribs were spares with attached belly! They are a bit richer than regular spares obviously, so they were plated as half bones, which helps keep everything together as you eat them. They gave each bone a quick char before plating. Fantastic bark on these too.

They have a really nicely designed smoker in the back, but I was too full, fat, dumb, and happy to take pictures when I went to look at it.

The prices were not cheap, but were in keeping with what would expected for BBQ cooked with wood on an huge offset. I brought home a couple of pounds of each, after I duly sat in judgement of the establishment.

They had their own BBQ sauce, which Im sure was fine, had I tried it. Tried a few sides, which were good but not totally memorable when there was a plate of brisket sitting in front of you. My favorite was a tomato mac and cheese. Did not try their greens, but I will next time.

I detected a little bit of a hipster vibe. Well... if it they are, then it’s hipster done right! Total respect. Like I said, the BBQ is the real deal.

Iron Grate is good stuff! I had the chance to go last summer. Aarron (I think) gave me a nice pit tour after our meal. Great traditional que for sure. He has a place at the new Bucks arena too where I tried the burnt ends and they were even good there. He knows his stuff.

Aarons a good guy. Born in Texas and had worked at some high end restaurants before opening up iron grate.

I wish them all the success! It would be great to get this establishment all the business they can handle, so that they are around long into the future.

I dont eat out very often for BBQ, so I may not be the best critic. But this was the first “real” bbq place Ive been at. Bbq has never been so easy, lol, I gave the man the money, and he gave me a days worth of work in the form of brisket and ribs. It felt like I was cheating.

Iron Grate is good stuff! I had the chance to go last summer. Aarron (I think) gave me a nice pit tour after our meal. Great traditional que for sure. He has a place at the new Bucks arena too where I tried the burnt ends and they were even good there. He knows his stuff.

Was he still using Edna at that time? It seems retired at the front of the parking lot. Currently, there is a huge, nicely thought out pit in the back. It certainly does not lack for firebox, I’ll tell you that!

Back