San Antonio/Lockhart Trip

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to San Antonio soon. We have a day for me built in. Was thinking of going back to Lockhart. Last time did Kreuz, Smitty's, and Black's. Really enjoyed Black's. Any other places in Lockhart or San Antonio that are must go for good BBQ?

2M Smokehouse (new school BBQ with Tex-Mex flare) in San Antonio. I’m hitting that or the new Micklethwait Market this weekend. Keep in mind it’s not open all day. It’s 10:30 till sold out. If you like the old school 1950s ambiance like the Lockhart joints you can try City Market in Luling (on the way to Lockhart) It’s old school BBQ like the Lockhart joints. I thought it was pretty good. Or you could try Chisholm Trail in Lockhart. I’ve never been there so know nothing about it.
So my opinion, 2M Smokehouse in San Antonio or head twords Austin or Lockhart.

I'll second City Market in Luling. I've only tried Kreuz and Smitty's so I can't comment more about Lockhart.

I'd also recommend Mi Tierra for Mexican in San Antonio.

While not food, if you like history there is the Mission Trails in San Antonio to see.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Mission-Trails/Home

Don't forget the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner. A short tour and taste sampling available.

Chisholm Trail, known to locals as Floyd's, is cafeteria style and hit or miss like every other place. Many locals prefer it.

Source: Me. My grandparents lived just outside of Lockhart and I grew up eating BBQ from Black's, Kreuz, and Floyd's. It's different now, but on the right day still phenomenal.

I'll second City Market in Luling. I've only tried Kreuz and Smitty's so I can't comment more about Lockhart.

I'd also recommend Mi Tierra for Mexican in San Antonio.

While not food, if you like history there is the Mission Trails in San Antonio to see.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Mission-Trails/Home

Don't forget the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner. A short tour and taste sampling available.

EVERYBODY should experience Mi Tierra at least once, even if you just look at the dessert case. If you want something a little less known, hop in the rental and drive to Universal City and visit La Fiesta. Get the tortilla soup, and puffy tacos.

To clear up any possible confusion between multiple posts. There are two easy ways to get to Lockhart from San Antonio. One is to take I10 to Luling where City Market is, and then head north. The other is to take I35 North out of San Antonio, and then head east from San Marcos.

If you want to try City Market take the I10 route. If you want to spend some time and toss the wife a bone visit the outlet mall(s) in San Marcos.

I was at City Market last month & I thought the food was OK - not great, not bad, but OK, and the place itself is really cool. I'd go back just for the atmosphere.

After being to the Lockhart spots a few times, I've kinda figured that I really like the sausage, pork chops and shoulder clod at Kreuz, and the beef rib and peach cobbler at Black's. I see Smitty's as more of an interesting historical spot rather than a place with great BBQ. Any of those places can be great - or just OK - on a given day. Have yet to try Chisolm Trail. I'm guessing the locals like it 'cause it isn't mobbed by a bunch of out-of-towners like the other spots.

No matter where you do it, sitting in front of a pile of meat on butcher paper and shoveling it down is pretty much guaranteed fun.

I would add one more thing about Lockhart and Kreuz. If you find yourself there again try the pork chop if you haven't had one yet. Best I've ever had anywhere anyway.

I would add one more thing about Lockhart and Kreuz. If you find yourself there again try the pork chop if you haven't had one yet. Best I've ever had anywhere anyway.

Add the pork chop at Cooper's in Llano or Ft. Worth to the list as well. Unless it's really late in the day I'd pass on having it dunked in sauce. They do it right.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Went to Chisolm Trail 2 years ago. That was enough for me. Brisket dry as a bone, tasted steamed. Dry steamed brisket is hard to accomplish, I know. Sides were like out of a Rieser's bucket. Wife got something off the steam table, can't even remember what it was, it was not memorable. Went to Kreuz when they still wouldn't give you a fork, havent' been back. Black's is our go to, and Smitty's is a backup if Black's line is out the door. Make sure you go to the CITY MARKET in Luling. There's another wanna be the next block down. We made the mistake of going in there several years ago.

OK, so add City Market, Mi Tierra in San Antonio, and the pork chop at Kreuz. Chisolm Trail can be hit or miss. Thanks!

The last time I was down that way, I popped into Black's and it was definitely a good day for brisket. It was probably the best couple slices I've had. The first time I was there, it was darn good, but not as memorable. There is always some variability, but I like my odds in Lockhart. Sure, I can find great brisket at Muellers or Franklins or LaBBBQ, but these places in Lockhart are pretty darn good AND they're practically in each other's backyard. It is the concentration that is so impressive.

So we just got back. Had a great time. Started out at City Market in Luling about 10:00. Had a couple ribs and some sausage.

Then we went to Lockhart about noon. Started out at Kreuz Market. Had Brisket and the pork chop suggested.

Then we went to Smittys. Just got a brisket slice.(this photo is the next day). I was already full so I got it to go.

Finally we went to Blacks for dinner about 5:00. Got brisket, sausage, and a rib.

So a few things. I got sides at Kreuz and Blacks. You cant eat just meat all day. We ended up buying a cooler at the HEB next to Smittys. I had enough leftovers for 3 breakfasts which worked nice since our hotel didn't have free breakfast. Bought a loaf of bread at the HEB and that is what I ate each morning. I suggest anybody doing this trip bring a cooler. We went to Lockhart on Friday and came home on Tuesday. On our way out of town we went to Blacks in New Braunfels (brisket rib, and sausage-no photo-sorry). All 5 of these places are very good. Any of them would be excellent as a stand-alone. Never waited more than a minute or 2 at any of them. For the second time though, the best was Blacks (which is why we went there on Tuesday) with Kreuz a very close second. We did also go as suggested to MiTierra which is an experience. Had Carne Asada tacos which were very good. The rest of our trip there was very enjoyable. We did Riverwalk, the market, saw the Alamo, went to Bandera and Boerne and some other places and went antique shopping. Rode horses at a dude ranch. Traffic was great for such a big city, much better than when I went to Houston. I highly recommend a trip to San Antonio.

Back