MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Sweet Seduction Spares

I've been having real good results layering Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub on top of a homemade rub. So, a few weeks ago I was about to order more when I read that Steph was about to release a new rub called "Sweet Seduction". A few brethren were privileged enough to have been the test pigs and were raving about the stuff, so I had to add some to my order. I also ordered some SM Season All, because Big Brother Smoke says that he uses it is a base for his other rubs. Oh, and I also ordered some 3Eyz's while I was paying for the shipping. Yesterday, I got to try them out.

Here is a shot seasoned up. The spare had a light coat of SM Season All, let sit for a couple minutes for the surface to get moist again, and then a light coat of SM Sweet Seduction. I then let them sweat on the counter for 30 to 40 minutes while the smoker came up to temp. This was recommended to me by Steph, and I really think helps. The rib tip has a medium coat of 3Eyz.

The rib tip came off after 4.5 hours. I was going to try and do something with it for the current Hors d'ouevres TD, but I didn't plan ahead enough and it was eaten too quickly. I enjoyed the 3eyz. It had a "oh that's good, oh wait there is a burst of a little sweetness, and then oh there is a burst of very very mild heat." I liked it. I look forward to trying this some more.

After 5.5 hours on the UDS (no foil or fussing with) I threw some Blues Hog on the 1/3 of it for my wife and let it go about 10 more minutes. Here it is after it came off.

These were really tasty. I'm still struggling to make the perfect rib. But, these were some of the best I've made yet. I liked the flavor profile that the Season All + Sweet Seduction gave. The combo gets a :thumbs: .

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Nice!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Those ribs do look nice.
Grillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
pci
On the road to being a farker

looken good
pci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Smoked
Full Fledged Farker

Those looks tasty. That last pic looks incredible and has me salivating.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Sheepman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ooooooooh!

I want some of that! I never thought of doing partial dry, partial wet ribs before! Something to think about!

Thanks!
Sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very nice. I have 2 racks of spares on with SM Cherry.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
I want some of that! I never thought of doing partial dry, partial wet ribs before! Something to think about!

Thanks!
Imho, once you put the sauce on, especially with the Blues Hog, you can't taste anything but the sauce. I like Blues Hog, but I want to taste something besides the sauce. My wife and friends all love them drenched in the candy sauce, so 1/2 and 1/2 works well. Give it a shot.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

That tripped my rib button
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

great looking rib's

M

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I've been having real good results layering Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub on top of a homemade rub. So, a few weeks ago I was about to order more when I read that Steph was about to release a new rub called "Sweet Seduction". A few brethren were privileged enough to have been the test pigs and were raving about the stuff, so I had to add some to my order. I also ordered some SM Season All, because Big Brother Smoke says that he uses it is a base for his other rubs. Oh, and I also ordered some 3Eyz's while I was paying for the shipping. Yesterday, I got to try them out.

Here is a shot seasoned up. The spare had a light coat of SM Season All, let sit for a couple minutes for the surface to get moist again, and then a light coat of SM Sweet Seduction. I then let them sweat on the counter for 30 to 40 minutes while the smoker came up to temp. This was recommended to me by Steph, and I really think helps. The rib tip has a medium coat of 3Eyz.

The rib tip came off after 4.5 hours. I was going to try and do something with it for the current Hors d'ouevres TD, but I didn't plan ahead enough and it was eaten too quickly. I enjoyed the 3eyz. It had a "oh that's good, oh wait there is a burst of a little sweetness, and then oh there is a burst of very very mild heat." I liked it. I look forward to trying this some more.

After 5.5 hours on the UDS (no foil or fussing with) I threw some Blues Hog on the 1/3 of it for my wife and let it go about 10 more minutes. Here it is after it came off.

These were really tasty. I'm still struggling to make the perfect rib. But, these were some of the best I've made yet. I liked the flavor profile that the Season All + Sweet Seduction gave. The combo gets a :thumbs: .
Very nice and juicy looking rib!
How hot did you cook them?
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegobbq View Post
Very nice and juicy looking rib!
How hot did you cook them?
I intended to cook them at ~250*, because at that temp the edges will be around 230*. I like to make sure the entire cooking area is over ~220*, or it just takes too long to cook. But for some reason my drum hasn't been behaving correctly recently. I got the drum up to 250*, put the meat on, and it started dropping in temp. I was running the ball 100% open and it was around 235*. 235* is good enough so I just let it run there.

They were tasty, but still not the best rib ever. These probably actually could have used 20 - 40 minutes more on the smoker, but it was serving time and they were close enough. They were nice and tender, but the outside is tougher than I would like. I'm not sure how to do that, maybe foil (too much work!)?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Wampus

Yep....that Sweet Seduction and Season All combo is DA BOMB!!!

Great lookin ribs there! Nice work!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
gtr

I've been loving the Sweet Seduction, but haven't tried layering with Season All. Guess what's going on my next ribs...
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
chrisf
Got rid of the matchlight.

I did the same as you ---K---. I ordered a 5 pack last week and had to call back to have them throw in some Sweet Seduction. Thanks to the guys at SM for that. I made it the same way as you did, with Season All and SS and the Baby Backs came out the best I have done to date. Kudos to Simply Marvelous for a great product.

chrisf