How do we recruit new cooks to the KCBS

I'm in Texas and chose to join IBCA. There are a couple of comps a year that offer added money to IBCA members. Usually has a stipulation that you must join by a particular date. But the money is for members. 3rd place can net you more money than first, if first wasn't a member and you are.

One of the things that will help these organizations grow is to spread the wealth a bit. They say that if you get a call at your first comp, you are hooked for life. In that I say "have a pro series and rookie series" (like sprint and nationwide) that way you will allow some more of those cooks the opportunity to win. Unfortunately the costs associated with entering a competition are prohibitive to some folks with less means. Therefore those same folks will pick a small handful of events which to compete in each year and even then they may not get the chance to walk.

I mostly cook in IBCA and more often than not they will pay 10-15 places with the GC and RGC not winning any additional money beyond the recognition that comes with the trophy. Therefore you have a lot more winners. Last year was a limited schedule for me but I cooked in 9 comps and actually made enough money in 7 of them to cover entry fees and meat. Normally IBCA comps average about $100 to enter.

I don't believe that this is a fan based hobby so I disagree with a few folks here who would want folks nosing around. I don't mind talking to a few folks but it can become a faucet that will not turn off as in your have no control over the flow.

Back