Beef, Ribs, and Chicken contest.

Porky Joes

Full Fledged Farker
I might be entering an amateur contest and the three areas are beef, ribs, and chicken. The cook time is about 5hrs before the first turn in. What would be the best part to q for the beef?

Thanks,

-Rich "Porky Joe's" Clifford
www.porkyjoesbbq.com

Tri-tip would be a great beef entry, not really BBQ but if it is anything beef it would work. I have seen ribeye steak presented for anything beef also. Beef short ribs would be an awsome entry if they are cooked right (I have never cooked them myself).

I have entered Tri Tip in a backyard anything beef before with good results. One piece of advice I would give on it is to know your rest period for the meat. We cooked 2 cut into the first one and liked it and sent it in. Let our 2nd one sit about 1/2 hr longer and turned out that with the longer rest period it was way better. We won't make that mistake again.

A smaller chuck roast or something like that has that kind or rich texture and marbling of brisket but could be done a lot faster. Also think about doing like two 3-4 LB flats?

It's possible to get brisket done in 5 hours at high temp. If you pull it off it would be very impressive.

Having said that, I'd say Tritip is safer. Restaurant Depot in Lombard usually has them. They come 4 or 5 to a cryovac.

The last non-sanctioned event we did had the top three finishers in the beef category turning in hot/fast brisket. We had 6 hours to cook from start to turn-ins.

Back