UDS chicken cook with heat shield help

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tomorrow im gonna try some new chicken ideas on the drum BUT this time im going to have a dispossable aluminum pan under the grate to catch the drippings so it doesnt get into the fire. I want to taste the difference between the fat dripping into the fire vs not into the fire.

i will be placing the pan on top of my first grate then i will place the second cooking grate over it with the chicken over the pan. With the pan in the way, i assume that it will increase cooking times, but by how much. my chicken will be at least 3-4 inches higher than it normally is due to the 2nd cooking grate on the pan..

i take it my time will increase due to the heat shield/plate or whatever in the way. Might add hot apple juice to the pan as well for flavor.

thanx

I tell you what I did the last cook I did and it worked real well. I took a spare 18" Weber Charcoal Grate, double wrapped it in foil, and sat it on top of the charcoal basket.

I figure that just by wrapping it thinly with aluminum foil, I just deflected the heat. It did a good job of evening out the temps, and I didn't really see a difference in cook times to be honest. Reason being I am sure there was plenty of heat going right through that aluminum foil. Also kept the drippings out of the fire.

Brandon

I tell you what I did the last cook I did and it worked real well. I took a spare 18" Weber Charcoal Grate, double wrapped it in foil, and sat it on top of the charcoal basket.

I figure that just by wrapping it thinly with aluminum foil, I just deflected the heat. It did a good job of evening out the temps, and I didn't really see a difference in cook times to be honest. Reason being I am sure there was plenty of heat going right through that aluminum foil. Also kept the drippings out of the fire.

Brandon
Nice, my basket is a we bit smaller than normal. like 3-4 inches high. so it fits like half a bag of cahrcoal. i hope that it wont snuff the fire out.. didnt the fat drippings on the foil burn though from being so close to the heat?

thanx for the idea

DSC09991a.jpg

The last time I cooked some fatties, I put a aluminum pan on the lower grate of the BDS to catch drippings. In the photo it looks like the fatties are not over the pan, but actually they are. It did not increase my cook time by enough to be noticeable.​

DSC09991a.jpg

The last time I cooked some fatties, I put a aluminum pan on the lower grate of the BDS to catch drippings. In the photo it looks like the fatties are not over the pan, but actually they are. It did not increase my cook time by enough to be noticeable.​

really, you didnt notice any cook time increase? i know i tried this once another way and it added another 1.5 hours to my cook. Ill try it out though. Maybe my thermopen is bad. i cooked for 3 hours at 300 degrees a while back and it was like 6 pieces of thighs... Thats why im trying it again tomorrow to see if i can figure out what i done did wrong..

thanx third eye

Back