Still Loving the WGA

napp37

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don't know why I waited so long to get one. I live alone so I don't do huge cooks unless I have guests. The WGA is just the right size to whip up a quick meal in the evening without wasting a lot of charcoal in the Weber kettle or a lot of pellets in the Traeger. I usually cook meat over the coals in one end while doing a side dish with indirect heat in the other end without coals.

Tonight's dinner is an example. I grilled the Parmesan Chicken over low coals and the bacon wrapped cluster of fresh asparagus was done with indirect heat. Simple, quick, delicious.

Attachments

• P1010994.jpg
    P1010994.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 248
I like my WGA. For it's size it has a lot of useable space thanks to the vertical sides. I fit a lot on mine, zoning it like you describe:

DSC_6583-PP.JPG

I've fitted "Man Grates" to mine because I like CI grates. They're a little heavy though and they deform the base enough to make the lid not fit so well.

DSC_6866-PP.JPG

I have fitted CI grates to mine, as well. I find that the heat causes the bottom to misalign with the top when the top is cooler. Once my top has heated to a similar temp as the bottom, the alignment problem goes away. It is not unlike the same problem with the Weber kettle.

I have fitted CI grates to mine, as well. I find that the heat causes the bottom to misalign with the top when the top is cooler. Once my top has heated to a similar temp as the bottom, the alignment problem goes away. It is not unlike the same problem with the Weber kettle.
I'll have to check that the next time I cook on it. I thought I could resolve it by making sure the leg hoops were straight but I could be wrong about that.

I've been looking for a CI grate to cook steaks HH on the GA. These little rigs do get hot and it only takes a few coals to get there.

2miw55.jpg

right now i just use a small aluminum grate to sear with or i use the lodge hibachi grate. but most times i just don't care about marks.
as a big fan of the cga i loved the pics !

Attachments

• P1010937.jpg
    P1010937.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 118
I don't get way you guys just don't use the Craycort insert? Exact fit, no cutting, warping, or any difficulties at all. You just set them in the WGA and cook.

Am I missing something here? :twitch:

Really like that you are enjoying the WGA. I love mine as well! Very nice heat distribuition.

If you have the craycort CI grate for the OT22.5, you can use a quadrant, it fits perfectly:

1F92069D-C63B-4763-B83B-D782EBDA77F9-40777-000019CBB1A28C29_zps75271412.jpg

0CC31443-C2C7-4015-80B5-25C1E3E61B21-40777-000019CBA22B97E5_zpsed1d4c18.jpg

I don't get way you guys just don't use the Craycort insert? Exact fit, no cutting, warping, or any difficulties at all. You just set them in the WGA and cook.

Am I missing something here? :twitch:

I was given the Man Grates free at a Kettle Club meetup. :mrgreen: I considered the Craycorts and they looked good but are a bit spendy. $45 at Amazon + $10 shipping (and not Prime eligible.) My WGA cost me $20 in the first place!

Oh, I understand. I deal with people all day going on about "cost"...and then spend $60,000 on an Infiniti.

I simply saw them, trusted the Craycort reviews that I'd read, and sent them the money. They have not disappointed AND I didn't have use some type of saw to cut the ends for a perfect fit and waste my valuable time. As I mentioned earlier, no warping, no ill-fitting, no anything but perfection.

ShortRibsHotDogsampElena077_zps40c49440.jpg

ShortRibsHotDogsampElena080_zpsae30ea27.jpg

Back