MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
I agree with this. I have had great BBQ at places that dont know much about the cut and bad bbq from places that think they are experts. That guy has probably been smokin the same cut of brisket 50 times a day for years. Who cares if he didnt know what it was.

I was in our local joint last year where a guy was giving him hell about the temp he served his meat at and about how he went to culinary school so he should know bla bla bla. He pissed everyone off in the place and left then I saw he wrote a review on yelp about how bad the food was and the service. That particular guy was going to eat bad bbq no matter what was put in front of him because of his attitude.

The place you were at may have been terrible and may have deserved it but I choose to vote with my wallet and never go back if thats the case. I will even tell everyone I see not to go, but I wont say it in their place of business. But thats just me.

Sounds like you didnt create a scene or anything and this isnt entirely directed at you, I understand you not wanting to order if you didnt think you would like it. But I just remember that guy last year and he was uncalled for
I agreed with your entire reply, til I saw the 'sounds like you didn't create a scene'. Completely opposite reaction from me, I read the OP's story, and immediately concluded he *did* create a scene.

Right off the bat, he's asking a minimum wage clerk kid to identify the meat as point or flat. That's an aggressive act, IMO done solely to establish his level of expertise.

If you go to a bbq place, you don't ask what part of the brisket it's from, you just order the brisket! And if it's wonderful, you go again!

To the OP:

The fact that your wife asked you if you would behave like this at future bbq places, indicated to me that you did indeed have a hissy fit. I'm picturing you right now announcing to your family at the bbq joint (but loud enough for everyone around to hear) that you weren't ordering anything, and you spent the rest of your time in there with your arms crossed, shaking your head.

Jay
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
.... Then the wife says is this how it's gonna be at all bbq places? How wrong was I?
I don't think it is a "right" or "wrong" issue more than it is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Most bbq places aren't going to be as good as what most on this board can make at home. A kid making minimum wage and a manager who's probably not making much more aren't going to know the in's and out's of bbq.

If I go into a restaurant to eat I'm at least going to give it a try and odds are I'm not going to start asking the first worker I see questions of that nature. I'm going to look at the menu, order and sit down and eat it. At that point I'll form my decision on a place.

If I were to hold most bbq restaurants to the same standard as I hold myself when cooking I might as well not bother eating at another one again.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like arrogance turned into an over reaction to me. I could understand if this was a food allergy type of question where the health and well being of someone was in jeopardy. But the question wasn't really all that important in the first place.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Since I wasn't there and never will be I can't speak to the exact situation here. But, IMO if your serving BBQ you should know the difference between Moist & Lean Brisket and Spares & BB ect. and have some time under a little instruction so as to be able to satisfy a customers needs. If the person doing the cutting isn't the owner (Who should know) and an employee I say shame on that owner for not training the staff. It also indirectly tells me that he isn't passionate enough about His/Her business to train the folks they employ I will most likely have less than a desirable dining experience. It also tells me they probably won't be in business long.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Why was the question even asked? If you were genuinely curious that's one thing, but if you were trying to 'outsmart' them or something, that's not cool

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Eh, everyone has their own standards, but thumbing your nose at it without even ordering anything isn't my cup of tea. Sure, it may not have been great brisket and the guy cooking may not have a BBQ background to meet higher standards. But if I stopped into a place because I was hungry and needed a bite to eat, I'd at least give it a shot even if my first impressions weren't great.

I think of it how I think of beer. I'm a card carrying beer snob. I brew my own, I hate the watered down massed-produced domestic lagers, etc. But when I go golfing I don't throw my arms up when I get to the clubhouse because they aren't stocking Pliny the Elder or my local favorite, Bell's Two-Hearted. I know I'm going to be forced to pay $15 or more for a sixer of Bud Light and be thankful for the privilege. I don't like it and I don't want to support it, but it comes with the territory. That goes for any restaurant, too. When I ask for the beer list or inquire about certain beers, I don't write a place off simply because the servers have no clue, or even if the managers or anyone else doesn't know their head from their ass when it comes to craft beer.

Right or wrong, that's an individual call. But my philosophy is to try anything once. Intuition may be correct and it sucks, but more often than not, I've found that even stopping at places that don't look/feel good, or sometimes even have poor reviews, turn out to be far better than expected if you give them a chance.
Unless it really sucks... But not Lagunitas Sucks

Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
landarc

I often will ask if I can get my slices from the point, it is just what I would prefer. If I am told no, or that folks don't get it, then I will order what I see that is on the menu.

As to right or wrong, I can't make that call for you, you went about it in a manner I would not have done, and your response leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as a former restaurant worker. But, I think you have a right to spend your money as you will, and if you need that answer to move forward with the order, than so be it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

to me good bbq is good bbq if the person knows what the exact cut is called or not.. i would try it.. OTS said he was digging on the tin blue smoke.. food couldn't have been too bad.. lol Everybody is not a culinarian.. and doesn't know what the exact cut is called. but they know how to cook if they are putting out thin blue smoke.. so i would have gave it a try before i knocked it..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
Rippp
Got Wood.

BBQ can vary so much from place to place. In one visit, it's difficult to find the gem on the menu. I've started asking the server, "what they're known for or their specialty." They usually know what items move and which ones don't, and for the most part don't mind telling. At least this way I feel I tried their best, which makes it a lot easier to decide to come back or not.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippp View Post
BBQ can vary so much from place to place. In one visit, it's difficult to find the gem on the menu. I've started asking the server, "what they're known for or their specialty." They usually know what items move and which ones don't, and for the most part don't mind telling. At least this way I feel I tried their best, which makes it a lot easier to decide to come back or not.
This is what I will do from here on out.
In hind sight I'm not upset with the decision. I asked my question of the manager off to the side where no other customers could hear, as not to draw attention.
I appreciate everyone's responses and have come to a realization. We in the brethren are a very spoiled group! The fact that we have the resources we do at our fingertips is most amazing.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #26
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

As a pit master, manager and partner in a BBQ restaurant, I find this interesting. We were not there and did not see the interaction with the person at the counter or the manager. Truth be told, I know if the question was asked of any of my employees they would not be able to answer the question you posed. Yes even the other managers probably couldn't. Does that make my restaurant a bad place? I don't think it does. It just means that I have not had the time to get into the minutiae of BBQ. If you plan on judging each place on the knowledge of the employees, you will be sorely disappointed. The places that have been around for a long time and have employees that have been there forever will be about the only place that will be able to give you that info. It's not that we don't care, we just don't have the time. I have a hard enough time finding people that can follow directions or a recipe.

You never did say if you took the taste of brisket that was offered.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
caseydog

Anyone who cooks food for money should know what the fark they are cooking. Period.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Anyone who cooks food for money should know what the fark they are cooking. Period.

CD
Weeeelllll...yes, but, the OP remarks do not state that he talked to the cook. He talked to the server, and the manager, who might not be the pitmaster. I can see where the staff on-site might now know what they are serving except to serve it. Many BBQ places have cutters, cooks, pitmasters and servers, not everyone knows everything.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Weeeelllll...yes, but, the OP remarks do not state that he talked to the cook. He talked to the server, and the manager, who might not be the pitmaster. I can see where the staff on-site might now know what they are serving except to serve it. Many BBQ places have cutters, cooks, pitmasters and servers, not everyone knows everything.
If that is the case, then the owner of the restaurant doesn't have a proper training program in place. Nobody working in a restaurant should be interacting with diners unless they know how to talk to the diners about the food with knowledge and confidence.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #30
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

They offered you a taste and refused. The least you could have done was try a slice and let the product speak for itself.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote