• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Superior SS1 Wheels?

fjlauer

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi! I see a few folks have Superior SS1's. My current project is to come up with something to move it around easier from the trailer to the backyard and back when I go to festivals and such. Biggest challenge, I have the mechanical aptitude of a four-fingered monkey. Has anyone modified their box to make it more mobile? Or anyone that's a whiz at fabrication and welding have any ideas?

Thanks!
Fred Lauer

The easiest way to add wheels is to find some casters that will handle the weight, you can get these at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, or maybe even Tractor Supply Store. Then you can cut off the tilt back wheels and axle and have a fabricator either cut off the current legs and build some new legs to attach your casters to, or you can attach your casters to the bottom of the existing legs. Its important to note that using the existing legs will make your existing smoker 5-6 inches taller, depending on the wheels you choose. On the new models of that cooker we have changed the wheel configuration to 4 1/2" casters and done away with the tilt back style of moving it around.

The easiest way to add wheels is to find some casters that will handle the weight, you can get these at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, or maybe even Tractor Supply Store. Then you can cut off the tilt back wheels and axle and have a fabricator either cut off the current legs and build some new legs to attach your casters to, or you can attach your casters to the bottom of the existing legs. Its important to note that using the existing legs will make your existing smoker 5-6 inches taller, depending on the wheels you choose. On the new models of that cooker we have changed the wheel configuration to 4 1/2" casters and done away with the tilt back style of moving it around.

What was the load rating you chose for each individual caster?

The cooker weighs around 650lbs, so as long as you chose casters rated for 250lbs or more you should be well within the limits of them and they should last for a very long time.

Back