MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
drjiveturkey
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckl View Post
I've done ribs and ribeye roast on the grill and find it extremely hard to maintain temperature. I have a BGE in Florida so I do know how to run one. I use a Party Q to control temperature, but because of air leaks around the bottom vent, it is very difficult to maintain temperature. On the BGE, it does a wonderful job. I guess more experimenting is in order.
When did you buy yours? They made some updates to the grill. There is a better sealant around the vents and the temp gauge goes to 800 (or maybe higher Im too lazy to go outside to check)
drjiveturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
chuckl
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjiveturkey View Post
When did you buy yours? They made some updates to the grill. There is a better sealant around the vents and the temp gauge goes to 800 (or maybe higher Im too lazy to go outside to check)
Bought the smoker at Costco...$399. The Party Q is sold by BBQ Guru http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Party%20Q
chuckl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
chuckl
Found some matches.

I sealed around the perimeter of the bottom vent today and noticed an open gap between the lid and body of the smoker. The shock absorber/stop was holding it open enough to easily slide a piece of paper through the opening. I removed the absorber and now the lid closes completely. I'm doing some ribs tomorrow, hopefully the temperature will be easier to control.

Chuck
chuckl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #34
aawa
Babbling Farker

I stopped by our local Costco and the Vision wasn't onsale yet. I think I might have to wait till later in the summer season.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I stopped by our local Costco and the Vision wasn't onsale yet. I think I might have to wait till later in the summer season.
I stopped in last weekend and checked one out at my local Costco, still $599

The ceramic seems to be made of a lighter, brittle material than the BGE. One of the set plates was broken inside and you could see the material, the upper dome edge as also chipped up, the side tables are not level and don't feel like they'll support much weight.

Exhaust vent seems ok, intake vent did not seal well at all, very loose and a gap between the vent and the base. Hinge looked sturdy and the nest looked ok.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #36
Steve Z
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

They had two in the box at $399 at the Costco in Covington, wa as of Sunday.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
george58
Found some matches.

They are now $399 in MA. and in New Hampsire also. I just picked mine up in Nashua, no tax. They seem to only have a few in each location though.

They are also selling Traeger pellet cookers.
george58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
hockeyfox
Knows what a fatty is.

Been to 3 Costco's in the Minneapolis area and are still at their regular price, and never did to on sale. Not many on the floor either do I doubt I will be so lucky to see a price ending in $xxx.97.
hockeyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #39
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
I stopped in last weekend and checked one out at my local Costco, still $599

The ceramic seems to be made of a lighter, brittle material than the BGE. One of the set plates was broken inside and you could see the material, the upper dome edge as also chipped up, the side tables are not level and don't feel like they'll support much weight.

Exhaust vent seems ok, intake vent did not seal well at all, very loose and a gap between the vent and the base. Hinge looked sturdy and the nest looked ok.
I picked one up, didn't notice anything on the inside but it works really well. The side tables definitely are not designed to hold a ton of weight but they held 10lbs of whole chickens just fine.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #40
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe I should take mine out of the box? I am thankful that I bought it, but I have a lot going on right now, and have not moved it since I got it in the back yard. Hell, it's still strapped to the dolly!

Here is the thread that I started that got others here to help me decide to buy my Vision Kamado: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=165470
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #41
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Ah I am jealous. Our nearest Costco is about 2.5 hours one way. I'll trade you guys a ranch kettle for one :)
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
MarshallCountyMS
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

They are still $569 here. Im calling and checking that plus the inventory every day... Soon as they hit the 400's (hopefully) im pulling the trigger
MarshallCountyMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
parski
Got rid of the matchlight.

I am using the Oneida large pizza stone with rack. $14.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond, until The one from Vision Grills is back in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.JPG (121.6 KB, 104 views)
parski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Hey all...Glad to see that the info is helping so many brethern...Hopefully you'll be able to get the ultimate snag @ $399...

I wanted to update on the Lava stone and Vision's customer service...So I've got to say that I'm not a fan of the Vision stone..Ive had it for about 90 days & it's developed a couple small cracks...they come from small holes in the porous stone on the perimeter..Ive been ubber diligient on keeping the stone in from start to finish to prevent sudden temp change fractures..I also keep it covered with foil so I dont have to scrub it or put at high heat to clean it off...Not huge cracks yet but confident that they'll spread with use...

I emailed them Mon and didnt get a response yet so I just called...They understood my frustration and are hooking me up..I declined a replacement stone since it's pourous and has the holes in it (which I think will collect cornmeal and burn with pizza)...I'd like to have a stone like the Kamado Joe that I could actually do pizza on... I'll likey do the alteration so it'll sit below bowl level... I've also cleaned the upper vent several times and during a recent high temp cook, the plastic tab kind of bent a little from being stuck from some gunk...

Sooo in leiu of a new stone, they're sending me for FREE the cast iron top vent from the M series & throwing in a charcoal starter for my troubles...

Still a very satisfied customer and spreading the word on the grills...Only problem I'm having now is that I want to grill way more then we can eat & my pants are starting to be way to snug...

Last edited by uncblue; 07-18-2013 at 02:50 PM..
uncblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #45
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Good morning all..Just thought I'd post up that Vision came through as promised and Fed Ex just dropped off the cast iron top vent and charcoal starter... Glad to see that their customer service is spot on... Loving the value & grilling fun that the Vision has brought to my family & friends....