Flexible hoses at contests - strong enough?

eggzlot

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Anyone bring those "as seen on TV" flexible hoses to a contest?

Here is an example: http://www.flexablehose.com/

For a backyard I am sure they are fine. But at contests, at least the ones I've been to, hoses are just run all over the grounds and cars can drive over the hoses and things of that nature, and they take a beating.

For the price and portability these seem almost too good to be true.

Anyone with real life comp experience using these types of hoses?

If you read the ratings on Amazon you will see that users think they don't hold up to normal use. Perhaps if you think of them as disposable and have a few spares they may work out for you.

Trust me, there is a reason I posted before purchasing. It does seem way too good to be true. Though the tortilla bowl thing from as seen on tv is as good as advertised!!

The very first time I saw the commercial for these I thought "I wonder how they would work at a comp?" :becky:. So you are not alone. I seriously doubt they would hold up to the beating that hoses take a competitions. I finally sucked it up last year and bought a good heavy duty 100' and it has been working great. I still have hose menders on standby for anything that happens :icon_blush:.

The first thing that turned me off...is when I went to the website.. (ok, that was okay)...but when I tried to close the tab, it asked, "are you sure you want to close this fantastic window?" or something like that...that always convinces me that I DO want to close that window.

If you read the ratings on Amazon you will see that users think they don't hold up to normal use. Perhaps if you think of them as disposable and have a few spares they may work out for you.

I picked up a pair to toss in the RV, will report on them after our first comp in Fremont.....They weren't a fortune, so am kind of looking at them as maybe disposable...

I bought a 50' one to use. I'm hoping that it works well, because getting rid of my hose real would be spectacular!

The ones advertized on TV don't have a very high working pressure. A lot of the comps we've gone to have working pressures as high as 200 lbs. I'd suggest picking up an RV pressure regulator to avoid a burst hose.

Get a good brass spliiter and you can regulate the pressue pretty easily by using the ball valve. I use a good heavy duty 50' hose and put it in our garbage pail when not is use. Simple and cheap!

i have a 50 footer. and it is a pos.it leaks around the cheap plastic fittings.

my question is... if you buy a 50 foot hose its not 50 foot unless it has pressure on it? therefore it would not reach 50 foot to hook it up

PS.. if you want to really test a hose .. find a comp .. like Holy Smokes in Easton md.. That runs water in off of a fire hydrant... 110 degree heat.. in the shade .. lay the hose in the sun and wait. My hose swelled up to 3 times its normal size before I chickened out and turned the water off... Didnt leak though LOL.

Get a good brass spliiter and you can regulate the pressue pretty easily by using the ball valve. I use a good heavy duty 50' hose and put it in our garbage pail when not is use. Simple and cheap!

Actually, a splitter will only affect the flow rate but will not change the pressure. If the original pressure is 200 psi, then the psi after the splitter will be 200 psi, the flow rate will be reduced only. The formula is E (flow) = I (pressure) X R (resistance). It works for water and electricity.

You need to acquire a pressure regulator for RV use which will keep the pressure down to a manageable level. Wally World and all RV supply stores sell them.

Back