• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Look At What I Found To Light My Cookers

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Picked this up at yard sale for a $1.00 and it works. :grin: It sure cannot be a weed burner its to small.

Not sure what is was designed for, never remember seeing one like it. Anyone know?

I guess I can use my Mapp gas with it????

Picture033-2.jpg

Picture039-1.jpg

It's a small weed burner. I've got one and it works great for lighting a grill. Your Mapp gas or any standard propane small propane cylinder will work.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359416612&sr=8-2&keywords=weed+torch"]Amazon.com: Bernzomatic 19425 JT850 Self-Igniting 20,000 BTU Outdoor Torch: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Last edited:
I bought the same unit here in Canada, it is advertised as a weed burner. Have tried it and it takes a while to burn weeds, but of course I use it for starting my Kamado smoker. A tank usually lasts me six months. Word to the wise make sure the valve is all the way closed tight or you will be replacing the gas canister a lot more quickly than that. Great unit and it only cost me $20, not as good a deal as yours but I have used it for the last three years and am still using the same igniter unit.

For those with bigger smokers harbor freight sells a weed burner that hooks to a 20 lb propane tank. I i light the charcoal in my meadow creek with it all the time.

i keep wanting to get one but the price and the real practicality for me just doesn't pass muster. but at that price i would scoop it up. great find !

I bought the same unit here in Canada, it is advertised as a weed burner. Have tried it and it takes a while to burn weeds, but of course I use it for starting my Kamado smoker. A tank usually lasts me six months. Word to the wise make sure the valve is all the way closed tight or you will be replacing the gas canister a lot more quickly than that. Great unit and it only cost me $20, not as good a deal as yours but I have used it for the last three years and am still using the same igniter unit.
When you say it takes a while to burn weeds, I think you will find that all it takes is swipe at the weed with the flame to kill the weed, you don't actually have to burn it. These were used years ago mounted on cultivators in cotton fields and were called flame cultivators. The tractors were moving at several miles an hour with the burners pointed at the base of the rows and they did a good job, the propane was just too expensive.

Yeppers you got the deal of the century!!!
I have owned mine for a few years. Excellent for starting my lg.BGE, big steel keg and I have been known to smoke some thorny weeds with it. I change my little propane tank about once a year.
It also serves as a great ice melter on the sidewalk when I am out of rock salt.

It also serves as a great ice melter on the sidewalk when I am out of rock salt.

That is one thing I do not think I will ever get the chance to try out here. :wink:

I need to get to the butcher and find something to cook this weekend, can't wait to fire up the Egg with it!

Looks like a cane that an old war vet turned into a flame thrower :twitch:

For $1 though, I'd take it!

Funny, that is what I 1st thought it was, a homemade cane. At times I could use one of those , so it can lite my fire and keep me upright when needed...:fear:

When I bought it there was no tank attached so it was a gamble.

For those of you that own one, how well does it work to light your coals? Doe it takes long to get the coals going? How long is it? Would it reach the charcoal basket easily in a UDS?

Back