Patio Daddio - Your Brine Was...

I too have to thank you John. Every Thanksgiving the ppl (45) we serve rave about how moist and flavor filled the turkeys are. Only problem is I can't take full credit. I always break out the laptop and show them why. As in your blog.

Last edited:
Another believer chiming in, although I did deviate the recipe some. I added the zest of the oranges and lemons plus added about 1/4 cup of whole black peppercorn. I'm sure it would've been great without the additions, the turkey turned out great ;). I'm one of those that goes, "I think it'd be good we do this....". Got to give credit where credit is due, thanks for the wonderful recipe, but I'm not sure if the zest made that much of a difference.

Attachments

• Copy of photo 2.JPG
    Copy of photo 2.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 137
Yup. I did this same brine this year. I usually have a really similar, but simpler recipe, but went with this one.

All agreed.....

SUPERB!!

It's bound to be a regular!

Gotta jump on the bandwagon of y'all folks that used John's brine recipe & were really pleased with the result. (gotta admit to having substituted allspice for the Chinese 5 spice.0

Thanks again John for sharing your recipe with us.

My first time using John's brine as well, 3 breasts in the brine for 16 hours, then on the smoker. Family and friends thought it was great.

Thanks John! :thumb:

Best turkey I have ever eaten or cooked your brine is now my only poultry brine!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353945916.136959.jpg

I typically just do a simple brine of brown sugar and kosher salt, but this year I tried your brine. Never would have thought about using old bay. I did forget to put the allspice but it still turned out great. Smoked the turkey with hickory and pecan, and had to finish in the oven as time was running out.

Last edited:
I used this brine for the first time this year and there is no going back. By far the best turkey I've cooked. Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it out on chicken.

Back