MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #181
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0bbby View Post
What is the avg price per lb people are paying?
My local maket is charging $5 per lb.
A local market is usually going to have a higher price, especially if they are trimming it for you. Your best bet is to try BJ's, Costco or if you have access Restaurant Depot. Last time I bought was about 4 weeks ago it was 1.89/#@ RD.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #182
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'm paying $1.89.lb at either Walmart or the local HEB grocery store chain. That's for choice. They sometimes have choice for the price of select :)

It's the only time I'll buy 'em. Picked up a 9.5 lb choice packer yesterday at walmart for $1.25/lb because it was close to expiration date. The fat was still white, and the color looks fine too.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #183
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Dan View Post
I've smoked literally dozens of briskets in my offset and have developed my favorite techniques. But I've never thought about putting the point back on the smoker to make burnt ends. Thanks for the tip!
I too have had many a brisket in my chargrillers with great success but still found this thread very helpful.
the burnt ends info was most helpful.....thanks for a great post
Big_Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #184
tx8370
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Here is one small bit of advice that I can offer, season with your favorite dry rub, wrap and let sit in the fridge for 2 days and then proceed. When done, it is great!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #185
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx8370 View Post
Here is one small bit of advice that I can offer, season with your favorite dry rub, wrap and let sit in the fridge for 2 days and then proceed. When done, it is great!

Personally, I'd only let a rubbed brisket sit for 48 hours if the rub was very lean on the salt. Of course, I'm a big fan of getting the fire going first, then prepping the meat, and throwing it on right away. Less hassle that way :0

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #186
envgeo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks! I am smoking my second brisket, but first in about a year. Can't wait to see the results.
envgeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #187
envgeo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Wow. Burnt ends for the first time. Outrageously good!
envgeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #188
Ericthefred
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Just followed these instructions (except the burnt ends; I'll try that next time), to do my first brisket in the smoker, and served 11 lbs of pure joy for our 4th of July party. I still have a few things to learn when it comes to not making more work for myself, but I'm happy to report the brisket is superior! (We're picky about brisket here in Texas, so that's saying something.) Good smoke ring, tender meat, and lots of compliments. I'm a happy man. The only mishap was that I did the first cut slicing the wrong direction, so some of my slices of flat were a bit mangled.

I threw in a fatty using some of my left-over rub when I started the smoker this morning and served it for lunch. The wife loved it and insisted I serve a couple with the brisket, so I sent number one son to the market for a couple more logs of Jimmy Dean. He came back with something I've never seen before: 2lb logs of Jimmy Dean (twice the normal size.) So, we had four lbs of fatties to serve to our guests. Fired up the grill this evening to do a tray full of mushrooms, summer sausage and yellow peppers, some grilled asparagus, cob corn and chicken thighs (one of my in-laws can't eat beef.) All came out well except I screwed up the asparagus (although my wife and a couple other charcoal fans loved the ugly black results. I tried a couple and had to admit the parts that didn't taste like my wood-chip box were pretty tasty.)

Enough rambling; thanks for these awesome instructions, and much other great advice I've found here.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #189
SmokeOCD
is one Smokin' Farker

Did the burnt ends for the first time. My rub had brown sugar in it, I ended up with MEAT-Candy. It's awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. I followed the instructions off the first page, except the rub. All turned out great. Thanks!
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #190
SteveT
On the road to being a farker

Just out of curiosity, would this http://www.mccormick.com/Products/GrillMates/Seasoning-Blends/Grill-Mates-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning.aspx
work as well as the Canadian steak seasoning you list??

Thanks

SteveT

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #191
ALLENY
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you for the very detailed tutorial. I can't wait to smoke my first brisket!
ALLENY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #192
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
Just out of curiosity, would this http://www.mccormick.com/Products/GrillMates/Seasoning-Blends/Grill-Mates-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning.aspx
work as well as the Canadian steak seasoning you list??

Thanks

SteveT
That should work just fine.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #193
osx-addict
On the road to being a farker

I followed these directions as well (this was only my 3rd or 4th brisket -- the rest were crap) -- and it came out AWESOME!

I was able to get the point out after 13 hours -- the flat was still not done -- I took it out after almost another 2 hours -- it wasn't 100% done but about 90% and good enuf for me! The meat was awesome to say the least!

Unfortunately the point was not turned into bits this time as I was STARVING after having eaten only cheese pieces all day and waiting for the meat!

Yum!!
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #194
[TX]Aceboy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Chris,

I'm curious as to your opinion on wrapping a brisket. I've been cooking brisket for a couple of years now and I've always wrapped it. I think one of the issues I've been having of late is that I'm not giving it enough time and going by when the thermo hits 190. Now it seems like I should probably just let the brisket sit and not wrap.
[TX]Aceboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #195
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you want to wrap, go ahead. Either way you need to cook it until it is tender, and not by time or temp.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, brisket tutorial, How to cook the perfect brisket