MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Smokin_Joe
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Reverse Flow?

I would like to get a response from those of you that compete. Do you use a reverse flow, or something else. Thanks guys and gals

Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I use a reverse flow for competing and for catering ...would not use anything else-STICKBURNERS RULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joe View Post
I would like to get a response from those of you that compete. Do you use a reverse flow, or something else. Thanks guys and gals
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Smokin_Joe
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
I use a reverse flow for competing and for catering ...would not use anything else-STICKBURNERS RULE
So let me ask you this... what do you think of a Lang? I am thinking of building a Lang clone, but how would that do for comps.?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Horizon off-set and have huge temp variations from one side of my pit to the other. My understanding is that reverse flow will help keep pit temps stable. However, a simple modification to traditional off-sets may also do the trick. By simply moving the smokestack to grate level the pit temps seem to stay the same (think Jambo). Just another way of dealing with the problem, FWIW.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
So let me ask you this... what do you think of a Lang? I am thinking of building a Lang clone, but how would that do for comps.?
We have the Lang 84 as well and that's what we use for comps. Once it gets to a proper temp, the Lang will hold onto it for a while. You have to feed the fire obviously, but that's the life of a stick burner.
If you are going to build a clone, just make sure you don't cut corners. I've seen that way too often with people building clones of any type of smoker.

Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Smokin_Joe
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I have a Horizon off-set and have huge temp variations from one side of my pit to the other. My understanding is that reverse flow will help keep pit temps stable. However, a simple modification to traditional off-sets may also do the trick. By simply moving the smokestack to grate level the pit temps seem to stay the same (think Jambo). Just another way of dealing with the problem, FWIW.
I have heard the same thing, the only reason im asking about reverse flow is because i have a tank that is just calling for a build..

Old 04-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

That is what I have is a lang look at the pic in the avitar. It works great easy to keep temps. You want to keep as level as possible but that it still drains as this keeps the temp pretty even. Langs are the best made I do believe

Quote:
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Heavenly Hog
Got Wood.

I have a Bubba Grills R250 smoker. I love it. There are quite a few threads on here that show you how to build it yourself.
[EMAIL="[email protected]"]Contact Us[/EMAIL]
Heavenly Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
We have the Lang 84 as well and that's what we use for comps. Once it gets to a proper temp, the Lang will hold onto it for a while. You have to feed the fire obviously, but that's the life of a stick burner.
Toss me into the Lang crew!

As for stable temps, I know that between the blanket we put on 'The Mistress' and my fire guys, they manage to keep her roughly 5-7* from end to end and have done it in the rain as well. Can't ask for much better than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
If you are going to build a clone, just make sure you don't cut corners. I've seen that way too often with people building clones of any type of smoker.
Great advise! If anything, I would try insulating the cooking chamber a bit (we use an old moving blanket).

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Have you played with the tuning plates? This would be the first place I would look at....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote