MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Tri-tip Ramen

I leveraged my last tri-tip cook to make something a little more illustrative of my blended style of cooking. Tri-tip and ramen, in one dish. All of the post is here, and that link should link to a Brethren post as well.

Well, now that I am once again running my smoker, I found some time to make a couple of tri-tip roasts. I smoked them (see that process described here) and tried to keep them fairly rare to medium rare. One of them had great marbling, and this gave me the idea that it would be great eaten sliced paper thin and eaten on the cool side, Tsukemen came to mind. For those not in the know, Tsukemen literally means 'dipping noodles', and it is a relatively recently developed style of eating ramen.

Unlike the ubiquitous ramen known to most Americans, tsukemen does not lend itself to packaging in small cellophane packets, and since it is a combination of cold noodles and hot broth, it is not as common and the more accessible hot noodle soup most of us think of when the word ramen is mentioned.

First off, I prepared a nice soup, this needs to be a strongly flavored soup, as it will be the primary flavoring for the dish. I took 3 cups of water, 1/4 cup of shoyu, 1/8 cup of Red Boat Fish Sauce, a teaspoon of agave syrup, a chunk of smoked brisket fat, about 3 to 4 ounces of the hard bark and fat from a previous cook and adding all of these together, I brought it to a boil. To this, I added the peels and trimmed ends from a large carrot, and some green onion trimmings. At the last minute, I added some Rayu Sesame Oil, a spicy oil that is also quite aromatic. This broth was then sprinkled with Mitsuba (called Japanese Parsley by some) and sliced scallions.

The Broth served very hot

In the end, as you can see, there was a little over 2 cups of the broth. Next was the boiling of the noodles, in this case, I was able to get some fresh steamed Chinese alkali noodles, used often for making chow mein and similar types of noodle dishes, it is a great analog for the ramen noodles used in Japanese cookery and is more easily found. These were boiled until just cooked, then shocked in an ice water bath. For this dish, the noodles need to be rinsed and chilled, the ice water bath does this quite nicely. Nobody wants over cooked or gummy cold noodles. I also sprinkled a little sliced scallion onto the noodles.

Chilled for serving

Finally, the only thing left was to prepare some vegetables for use in dipping with the noodles. This is almost like preparing a salad, without the dressing. First, the aforementioned paper thin slices of tri-tip, yes I am liking my new meat slicing knife. Then some blanched julienne of carrots, some blanched bean sprouts, some raw Nappa cabbage and some mushrooms that had been boiled in the soup, to fortify the dipping soup and soften the Shiitake mushrooms. I was really happy to see that the tri-tip had retained both it's marbling and was quite close to rare. This made for the perfect texture once it was dipped in the very hot soup.

The Accompaniment

Unlike most ramen dishes, I believe Tsukemen has no single great note, all of the ingredients must be right for the overall dish to really sing. In blanching the carrots, I am trying to soften the thin julienne just a bit, and start the process of brightening the sweetness, the bean sprouts are heated just enough to soften that beany quality, but, to maintain most of the crispness. This dish ends up being all about the contrasts of the hot and cold, sweet, salty, herbal and savory and about the textures, at first crisp, or tender, lean then fatty, it is a wonderful dish that is not well known enough here. I tried to get a dipping shot, however, I am right handed and cannot use hashi left handed, nor can I apparently focus my camera using my left hand only. Almost...

Focus!

Ah well, that is clear enough to illustrate how I eat it. Others eat it the more normal way, of eating the noodles or the vegetable and meat separately. It all works great. I like to shove it all into the bowl, the grab the whole lot and then eat the whole mess at once.

Ready for the Dipping

Overall, a nice dinner, without too much gluttony. I think I get a Girl Scout cookie as I ate lots of vegetables.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Hoong does it take to get across the country?? That looks good!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Bob that looks delicious!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
KotaChuk678
On the road to being a farker

Nice job! Very interesting and tempting plate there

Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
landarc

Garrett, I don't know
Thanks Jeanie
I try to make interesting things, thanks KotaChuk

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
buccaneer

You know you are going to reel me in with fantastic grub like that!
Looks bloody oishii, oh yeah!!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

The pron is really nice but I enjoy reading about your thought process even more. Thanks for taking the time to write such interesting and well written posts.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Tri-tip Ramen

Very Nice Bob! Please send a plate a little to the north east of you.
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
landarc

Just a taunting Buccs
Thanks Jim, the thought process is what keeps me messing with stuff
Thanks Chad

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

nicely done, landarc!!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
caseydog

That looks nothing like the ramen that kept me alive through college.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Phubar

Itadakimasu Onii-Chan!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
...the thought process is what keeps me messing with stuff
Creativity is what it is all about. Doing the unusual and interesting with the usual. That looks really, really good.

I'm hoping this spring to start doing stuff like this. You are an inspiration sir.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #14
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

To quote Bob I would definately hit that
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS