MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Its the cook, not the charcoal!

Its the cook, not the charcoal!

That's my thought for the month. Discuss.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

So long as it isn't that stinky KBB for the source I agree. That stuff give me indigestion.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post

Only 1 thought per month?!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
Only 1 thought per month?!
Well he's way ahead of me then.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Isn't the charcoal technically the cook? As it is the one doing the cooking?
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
So long as it isn't that stinky KBB for the source I agree. That stuff give me indigestion.
+1
Nothing like the smell of chemicals and coal on your food! Yuk!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post

I know your intelligent as you have a PBC.
Are you making a statement or just offering a topic of conversation??

Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I know your intelligent as you have a PBC.
Are you making a statement or just offering a topic of conversation??
Pro Bowlers Card?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Pub Brawlers Card?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Lump. That's my thought .

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
caseydog

I personally think the beer is more important than the cook OR the charcoal.

Fark! I just used up my thought for the year, one day after my birthday.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

The way I look at it, the cook does choose the charcoal.

If the cook chooses the leading national brand "charcoal", it's not the charcoal's fault.

I'll be hiding in the BBQ shed from the onslaught of slings and arrows!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Smart asses.

Seriously. I think that there are pros and cons of each that can be adjusted to and overcome. Yes, kbb doesn't burn as hot. Nothing that opening your air vent up a little more can't overcome. Yes, kbb produces more ash, nothing a little higher basket can't fix. Yes, lump will fluctuate a little more in temp due to the irregular sizes, nothing a little more tolerance and ignoring the thermometer can't overcome. Maybe the all natural briquettes with their regular size and no nasty chemicals are the answer? Nah, they don't have as long of a burn, but that's nothing that putting a little bit more charcoal in the basket can't fix. ... etc.

Championship winning cooks have used both kbb and lump. Several respected members here use either with great success. So then how can it be as bad as some want to make it out to be???

That said .... in my drum, I could never taste any difference between kbb and lump. A buddy of mine with a WSM reports the same. From posts here, I believe most are the same way. I'm guess that if the charcoal is allowed to preheat, burns clean and is in direct, you're not going to taste the difference.

BUT, when I got the Pit Barrel and did ribs. The first rack of ribs, lighting the kbb with lighter fluid like the directions, I had off taste on the first 3 - 4 ribs closest to the fire. Yuck. I figured it was the lighter fluid. The next rack a few days later, tried again but used a chimney and kbb. Same results. Good flavor up at the top of the barrel, but the bones closest to the fire had a chemically taste. I didn't expect it. It wasn't a bias. I couldn't believe it was the charcoal, since I never had problems with kbb. But, then I did a third rack with lump and the off taste was gone.... 3 racks isn't exactly scientific, but enough for me.

I'm starting to think that there might be something to the distaste for kbb, but I only think it might have value if you're cooking direct and closer to the flame.

I bought 4 more bags kbb at the sale recently, so it isn't totally dead to me. And, I have two bags of the new Cowboy lump in the shed, which I'm not that crazy about either. My bags have huge pieces and lots of little shards. If I don't break the big pieces up, it burns too irregularly. Messy Pain. I keep thinking I need to go back to using the Royal Oak briquette. I always had good results with that.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Smart asses.

Seriously. I think that there are pros and cons of each that can be adjusted to and overcome. Yes, kbb doesn't burn as hot. Nothing that opening your air vent up a little more can't overcome. Yes, kbb produces more ash, nothing a little higher basket can't fix. Yes, lump will fluctuate a little more in temp due to the irregular sizes, nothing a little more tolerance and ignoring the thermometer can't overcome. Maybe the all natural briquettes with their regular size and no nasty chemicals are the answer? Nah, they don't have as long of a burn, but that's nothing that putting a little bit more charcoal in the basket can't fix. ... etc.

Championship winning cooks have used both kbb and lump. Several respected members here use either with great success. So then how can it be as bad as some want to make it out to be???

That said .... in my drum, I could never taste any difference between kbb and lump. A buddy of mine with a WSM reports the same. From posts here, I believe most are the same way. I'm guess that if the charcoal is allowed to preheat, burns clean and is indirect, you're not going to taste the difference.

BUT, when I got the Pit Barrel and did ribs. The first rack of ribs, lighting the kbb with lighter fluid like the directions, I had off taste on the first 3 - 4 ribs closest to the fire. Yuck. I figured it was the lighter fluid. The next rack a few days later, tried again but used a chimney and kbb. Same results. Good flavor up at the top of the barrel, but the bones closest to the fire had a chemically taste. I didn't expect it. It wasn't a bias. I couldn't believe it was the charcoal, since I never had problems with kbb. But, then I did a third rack with lump and the off taste was gone.... 3 racks isn't exactly scientific, but enough for me.

I'm starting to think that there might be something to the distaste for kbb, but I only think it might have value if you're cooking direct and closer to the flame.

I bought 4 more bags kbb at the sale recently, so it isn't totally dead to me. And, I have two bags of the new Cowboy lump in the shed, which I'm not that crazy about either. My bags have huge pieces and lots of little shards. If I don't break the big pieces up, it burns too irregularly. Messy Pain. I keep thinking I need to go back to using the Royal Oak briquette. I always had good results with that.

I'm tired of the it's the charcoal's fault cop-out responses.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

oh I see where you are going with this

personally, I dont use KBB or anything like it

I dont like that smell it gives off. Sure it goes away but whatever caused it is still in the charcoal. Whatever filler, borax, whatever is in it is in it all the way through.

I choose not to have that on my food.

I dont care if I can taste it or not

I dont want it on my food.

period.

I either use a lump or an all natural briq that does not give off that smell when lighting. Depends on what I am doing
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->