MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Small Big Green Egg?

I'd like to get a big green egg, and have been checking out craigslist. They are rare to find, but I did find this for $550.

Small Big Green Egg Smoker/Grill
About 1yr old comes with:
Egg Nest
Plate Setter
Cast Iron Grate
BBQ guru Digi-Q II

Just not sure on buying a small Big green egg..

Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

in my opinion, it's too much for a used small. I don't know what they run new, but I bought my Large this week and looked at a Medium, which sold new for only $549 -

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds high but with the extras not so much. Isnt a guru about $200
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
warren
Full Fledged Farker

thats crazy
warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post
I'd like to get a big green egg, and have been checking out craigslist. They are rare to find, but I did find this for $550.

Egg Nest
Plate Setter
Cast Iron Grate
BBQ guru Digi-Q II

Thoughts?

With the Guru that's probably not that bad of a deal. My question would be about the capacity. A small, is SMALL. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a Lg. unless you are cooking for one, and don't have fridge or freezer space for leftovers.

The guru is great, but really not necessary with the egg. You may have to check it a couple of times for an overnight cook, but it should be very stable for you.

The final issue would be warranty. It's not transferable. I'd hate to get home with a used egg, and find a small crack that wasn't visible when I picked it up....and then have that turn out to be a problem.

For a little more $ you should probably be able to find a new Lg. with just about everything but the Guru, with a warranty.

Dr. BBQ has been a bad influence on me. I've gone from no eggs, to two in a matter of weeks!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Tom5601
Found some matches.

I don't know how far you are from Little Canada, MN, but if it is close enough you might consider going to their Eggfest. I bought my egg at Eggfest in Peoria, and was able to save 10% on retail, plus they included a bag of lump, ash tool, plate setter, and assembled the unit. They likely have the same type of deal there. It might be worth a call or drive if not too far.
Tom5601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
thillin

Shoot for a large. But, You can do alot with a medium. I wouldn't get a small unless it was a steal. My medium is my daily cooker for grilling and small cooks like a flat or shoulder. So shoot a large first and maybe find a killer deal on a med along the way.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5601 View Post
I don't know how far you are from Little Canada, MN, but if it is close enough you might consider going to their Eggfest. I bought my egg at Eggfest in Peoria, and was able to save 10% on retail, plus they included a bag of lump, ash tool, plate setter, and assembled the unit. They likely have the same type of deal there. It might be worth a call or drive if not too far.
Hey Tom,
I live just south of Peoria - missed the dang Eggfest, but couldn't resist the urge, so I broke down and bought a Large from them this week - at my wife's insistance Wish I coulda got the deal you did!

I agree, if you CAN get to an Eggfest, it's a good deal! And, the Large is a nice size...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

Hey, thats my Egg!
rabeb25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Chappy
Got Wood.

I just bought a small. I paid 395 for it without the nest (I was building a table for it). I really like the small, but I have had a large for awhile. If you are looking to do some long cooks, I'm not sure how long the small will go.

The price isn't terrible, but only because it comes with the BBQ Guru.
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Rick's Tropical Delight

to the buyer: i'll tell you what, i love my mini and the small would be just as good only larger. i guess your decision to get a small would be based on exactly what you wanted to cook in it.

to the seller: how much without the guru and why are you selling it?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

Its a package with everything that I have for it. I don't NEED to sell it, I just rarely use it anymore. I bought it for the Cabin, and we sold the cabin so...

Bryan
rabeb25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #13
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeb25 View Post
Its a package with everything that I have for it. I don't NEED to sell it, I just rarely use it anymore. I bought it for the Cabin, and we sold the cabin so...

Bryan
i think you might have better luck selling the egg without the guru... but good luck, you never know. if you were closer, i'd make an offer for just the egg/nest/plate setter

Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
cjcullom
Got Wood.

Just bought a small with nest for 250 off of ebay. The guy cooked some wings and decided he liked his grill better. FYI, I can hardly see char marks inside and he had it in a garage....10 of 10 in my book
cjcullom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
UNCLE EGGY
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Smile Small Green Egg

I sell the eggs small is just what it sounds small I have a large and an extra large. the small I sell for 650 with the nest shelves bag of charcoal and fire starters assembled and delivered. but it is small about 12" call me any questions. Eric 631-891-5657
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post

Egg Nest
Plate Setter
Cast Iron Grate
BBQ guru Digi-Q II

Thoughts?
UNCLE EGGY is offline   Reply With Quote