• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lawndale: Small Crowds, Big Orders!

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We had another good day at the Lawndale Farmers Market this time. The crowd wasn't that large but they were very happy that we were there. We had several people tell us how good the food was and some even came back to order more.

One man came back three times! He said he was in town working at one of the refineries on assignment from Texas. WE asked him why he kept coming back. He said that he hadn't been able to find any good brisket and ours reminded him of home.

I called a lady over at the Hawthorne City hall (Hawthorne is the next town over) and told her we were at the Farmers Market down the road. She remembered us from a BBQ contest n Hawthorne last year. She told me she would call back with an order. True to her word she did. Next thing we know, two detectives from the Hawthorne PD showed up to pick up the order. They saw the food we were fixing and ordered 3 more sandwiches. One of them said he was putting an alarm in his phone so he can remember to come back every week!

All in all, it was a good day. The market was from 2p-7p but we were out of most stuff by 5pm. We didn't take too much food because we didn't know what the crowd would be like. WE will be taking a lot more next week.

I had to come back to work today so I can rest!

It is great to hear how things are taking off for you. Nothing better than a consistently high quality product doing the talking for you.

I am from Texas too and sure could use a bait of your brisket right about now. :mrgreen:

That is TOO cool, Mista! So do you still have a regular job or do you need one anymore? ;)

Love it when a plan comes together... I was going to give you a call last night but I remembered that you were going to be out selling... Promise, I'll call soon....

That is TOO cool, Mista! So do you still have a regular job or do you need one anymore? ;)

Still have the regular job right now. Just took a day off to get that one started. Father-in-law will run that one for now. We will get most of the food cooked before hand to make it easy on him.

good on you, bro! guess you will not have time to help my arse this coming season :cry:

The Mistas have been quite an inspiration to us... thank you!
We have been selling smoked tri-tip to some friends who own a local sandwich and ice cream shop. They keep ordering bigger quantities of meat because the tri-tip sammiches have become so popular. We have also done a couple of Friday special tri-tip and spare rib cooks out in front of the shop. Now they have decided they want Steve to come over and cook for a weekly rib special. If people order ahead of time they get 10% off on their ribs or tri-tip. Next up, we are going to approach a couple local Farmer's Markets. Sweeeeet!

Sweet!

It's the Brethren/Sistren Farmers Market take over!!

The Mistas have been quite an inspiration to us... thank you!

Next up, we are going to approach a couple local Farmer's Markets. Sweeeeet!

To save yourself some gas, first call the market manager to see if they are currently looking for food vendors. If not then it's not worth your drive.

If the markets are there like they are here you get your permit based on the quarter and there is no pro-rating. So try and start at the beginning of a quarter. Some markets that are desperate will ask you to start before then but it's up to you and if you want to pay full price for part of a quarter.

There was one other thing I was going to say but my sometimers kicked in.

Great news. There's not enough vendors selling ready to eat food at our (LA / Orange County) farmers markets. To have great BBQ as an option is a no brainer. You'll do well, I know it.

One man came back three times! He said he was in town working at one of the refineries on assignment from Texas. WE asked him why he kept coming back. He said that he hadn't been able to find any good brisket and ours reminded him of home.

He must have been from that part of Texas where they like their brisket dry and tough. :p

He must have been from that part of Texas where they like their brisket dry and tough. :p

You know he said he had been working in SD the week before and all of the meat he tried down there seemed to come from really small cows. Or some other four legged animal that seems to be scarce down that way. He mentioned a lack of 'bark' but I don't think he was talking about the crust on the outside of the meat...

Where does that Wagyu come from anyway?:twisted:

Back