Official Start of the SS UDS

Check out my pics on the lid problem size wise:

DSCF5287.jpg

DSCF5288.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

Can't see too much on the thrid pic, but if you look close enough on the first and second pics you can see where I tried to mash down the lid so it would fit. It did but I didn't like that it just sat on top of the barrel rim. So my fix was to add 4 skinny bolts and some furnace gasket to make the seal and keep it from falling or moving on the drum.

Oops no pics of gasket so here it is:
DSCF5292-1.jpg

Here you can see the aligning bolts and the gasket held on by high temp red silicone engine gasket maker stuff.

Hope all this helps on a solution......

Paul B

A yard sale!!!!!...What did that guy do for a livin'????....Who would have a SS drum kicking around tha garage???:-D

A yard sale!!!!!...What did that guy do for a livin'????....Who would have a SS drum kicking around tha garage???:-D

Ya....I asked him the same thing. He bought it at a garage sale that had 6!!! for $25. He was going to make a grill out of it. He started at $25 to recoup, I was hesitant, and he said what would I pay. Only just thinking about building an offset I countered with $5.00. He hemmed and hawwed and I started to walk away(was expecting him to counter with $15 and I was going to snap it up), and he said weeelllllllllllllllllllllllll I don't want it back in the garage, handed him a crumpled five spot and loaded that baby up. I didn't realize at the time that those go for $500++!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now you know the rest of the story............

Paul B :biggrin::biggrin:

Check out my pics on the lid problem size wise:

DSCF5287.jpg

DSCF5288.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

Can't see too much on the thrid pic, but if you look close enough on the first and second pics you can see where I tried to mash down the lid so it would fit. It did but I didn't like that it just sat on top of the barrel rim. So my fix was to add 4 skinny bolts and some furnace gasket to make the seal and keep it from falling or moving on the drum.

Oops no pics of gasket so here it is:
DSCF5292-1.jpg

Here you can see the aligning bolts and the gasket held on by high temp red silicone engine gasket maker stuff.

Hope all this helps on a solution......

Paul B

I just discovered a use for the bolts besides aligning the lid on the barrel. They double as a lid hanger on the side of the barrel!!! :biggrin::biggrin:. Either two will catch top lip or just one. Don't know that I will use it though with the empty plant hanger that is just a couple of steps away.

So, not only do the bolts secure and align the lid, it can double as a lid hanger to the side of the barrel. With the weber and knock off lids that don't quite fit this may be a viable fix. Although the lids may have to be mashed somewhat as I had to do to mine from Arctic Products.

No pics yet, so it actually didn't happen, but it does work well it there were pics.

Paul B

Last edited:
Back