MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default KCBS rules and regs

http://www.kcbs.us/contents/conjoinrr.htm

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
chad

I know you'll find this surprising, but I've had them printed out for two weeks! :D

It's a good idea to print out the rules for any sanctioning group you'll participate with -- never assume the rules are the same.

Also, print and READ the local rules. Get the info pack from the sponsors and check out if turn-in times have changed, what time is the meat inspection, how early can you set up, etc.

Oh yeah, have fun!! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
PitPirate
Banned

I just printed the PDF because it was more clean then that whole page.

Great info that is added to my ever growing collection of homework.

peace and Smoke On!
mike
PitPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

I'm printing them. Got to know them inside out before the contest. A tip from my judging class - make sure the submission box is clean, no dripping sauce or puddles of sauce or sauce stains on the inside lid.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
chad

A little side note: you do NOT have to garnish! However, I think you'd be signing your team's death warrant at a KCBS cook off. Gotta have that nice green lettuce - no kale!! I do believe that a bed of parsley can be used.

Of course with the submission you are at the mercy of the person you hand your carefully prepared box to. If he/she drops or shakes it, well, what can ya do? :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 07-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

I agree with DF that you need to garnish, even if the rules say you don't have to. The best looking trays I have judged usually have both lettuce and parsley, but make sure it is the right kind of parsely, they don't allow some types.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
chad

Quote:
even if the rules say you don't have to
Be REAL careful -- FBA forbids garnish!! Lettuce in the box gets you an automatic disqualification. We judge the meat not the lettuce! :D

Yep, make sure you've got the allowable stuff for garnish.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
A little side note: you do NOT have to garnish! However, I think you'd be signing your team's death warrant at a KCBS cook off.
I agree totally. However, in the KCBS judging class I took we were told that we were not to take points off if there was no garnish. We are to judge by appearance only. If it looks good - give a good score.

The judging for appearance takes about 15 seconds per submission. It's got to catch the judges eye IMMEDIATELY or forget about it.

IMHO, the garnish really serves two points. One, it looks pretty and properly done, accents the meat perfectly. Two, it helps holds the meat in place in the box.

Just make absolutely sure that what you are using for garnish is allowed at that competition.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
parrothead

Looks like they are allowing pretty much the same stuffthat we used during the grill king comp.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
BrooklynQ
Banned

Submit it the same way and you'll do great.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

grillkings used the KCBS rule sheet word for word.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight
I agree with DF that you need to garnish, even if the rules say you don't have to. The best looking trays I have judged usually have both lettuce and parsley, but make sure it is the right kind of parsely, they don't allow some types.
Greg and I took the class

There was a pork submission with no greens at all.

People trashed it on presentation.

So I concur, add something, or you'll be farked.

Me, I gave the mountain of pulled pork a 8 on presentation, only to be given looks by other judges. I could see good smoke ring pork in a pile. Non Q judges saw a pile of meat.

So spend the time and put in the green, I concur

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote