MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #31
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXBBQ View Post
Yeah, I've seen him say the same thing, but if that thing isn't done it's pretty close!!
Yea, it's hard to tell from the video. If they are done, then he's holding for a full 5 hours or so because it's still dark outside and they don't open til 11am.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #32
ATXBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Yea, it's hard to tell from the video. If they are done, then he's holding for a full 5 hours or so because it's still dark outside and they don't open til 11am.
Nice observation, I think we have verified that the long hold at 200 degrees is in fact the secret. Well done, now I just need to get my food handlers license.
ATXBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Does Franklin inject with phosphates?
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

He doesn't inject at all , only salt and pepper on the meat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
Does Franklin inject with phosphates?
I would highly doubt it. As outspoken as Mr. Franklin is about all natural quality beef, I would be shocked to hear he injects it with phosphates. Also, I don't know if it would be cost or time effective to inject on the scale he smokes brisket at. HOWEVER, the only person who REALLY knows what Aaron Franklin does to create brisket nirvana, is Aaron Franklin lol! :)

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

[quote=caseydog;2210678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post

He is a food writer who specializes in BBQ.

I've watched that episode twice in the last week. I've never been to Franklins, but I will be going asap.

CD
When you go, go early for the food and stay late to talk to Aaron. He's a great guy and willing to share. He told me his process when i was there. I've also got a email from him. I've shared it before. Some of what he told me conflicts with what is here, so either i misunderstood him or who knows where people are getting their info.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

[quote=---k---;2211912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

When you go, go early for the food and stay late to talk to Aaron. He's a great guy and willing to share. He told me his process when i was there. I've also got a email from him. I've shared it before. Some of what he told me conflicts with what is here, so either i misunderstood him or who knows where people are getting their info.

Let's see that e-mail again. Or, you can PM me.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

[quote=---k---;2211912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

Do tell... please
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd love to see info that is conflicting also. I just shared what I heard on the show and what I've read in articles. Would love to hear all he has to say on the subject of brisket!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #40
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Also, I don't know if it would be cost or time effective to inject on the scale he smokes brisket at. HOWEVER, the only person who REALLY knows what Aaron Franklin does to create brisket nirvana, is Aaron Franklin lol! :)
Franklin doesn't really cook the briskets anymore, it's his pitmaster John Lewis whose manning the flames. So there's at least 2 who know the full on secrets.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #41
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

How big is his smoker and I wonder how many briskets he cooks per day?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I read a really good article on him and John Mueller in Texas Monthly a While back. Initially he was using a 500 gallon offset but built a few more similar cookers recently according to that article. Don't know when it was written, last I heard he's selling out brisket before everyone in the line that forms at 9:00 a.m. even gets the whole way through the door.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #43
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

While I think his reputation is well deserved, I am getting a little tired of the Aaron Franklin worshiping going on around here these days. Lots of great pit masters, lots of great methods...

Anyway, when I was there I got a few second with Aaron, not enough to cover everything. And, since I hadn't cooked my own brisket yet, not everything made sense at the time.... But, Kosher Salt / Coarse pepper only. He starts prepping around 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Smoke around 265* to 275*. "If you hear the meat, you're too hot." Wrap when the bark is where you want it. Oak only. That was all I was able to get out of him while there before he had to move on to other guests. I thought I heard him say that he was wrapping around 4:00 am.

Here is a reply I got after I emailed him to tell him how amazing his brisket was and thank him. The "chow thing" is the video on Chow.com:

Quote:
Franklin Barbecue <[email protected]> Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM
To: "Ryan

Hey Ryan,
Thanks for the kind words.
There really are no tricks, that chow thing is pretty accurate.....
I would also add that you should wrap with foil or paper when it looks like you want it to....and don't cook it too
hot(if you can hear the meat,its too hot)......
Holler if you have any questions.
Good luck
Aaron
It looked to me like he was keeping the briskets warm in a smoker running cooler. 200* might be a good guess. This was just before he moved to the new place. He was talking with another guest about wanting to build a big brick smoker after the move. I wish I could find a reason to go back.

With that, I'm going back to trying to duplicate his results rather than talking about them.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #44
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't think that any one is saying he is the only good pitmaster out there, and I wouldn't necessarily say he is being worshiped here. I think that it's a matter of the fact that he's been on T.V. a lot lately. That, and many of the people I know or have heard on here that have been to his place say that he does have either the best, or some of the best brisket they've ever had.

No one's saying that his method is the only one. But, people struggle with brisket, and to finally see a visual on T.V. as an example of what you're striving for the end result to be, it usually causes people to gravitate to that method. Kind of hard to duplicate a result if you don't keep the variables the same to get a base line to work from.

As far as inconsistancies, I don't remember seeing any thing mentioned about how he does it than what you have written there? I've heard him say in interviews where he says between 275* - 300* when asked what temp he cooks at. Maybe he's putting out different info to different people on purpose to keep us guess and to not give away the finer details? Like it's been said before, the only people that know for sure are him and his assistant pitmaster.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Last edited by CarolinaQue; 09-15-2012 at 11:54 AM..
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #45
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

He starts with great hunks of beef. End of story.

If it moves like jellow raw, it'll do the same after it's cooked. The source of beef combined with his cooking method works great.

If there were other places in the hill country starting out with the same quality of brisket, they may get close.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote