does whole hog need to sit out to room temp?

I wouldn't. It would probably take a while to come up to temp. You want to minimize the time food sits in the temperature danger zone. 40F-140F. Throw it on cold and it will come up more safely in the pit.

I wouldn't. It would probably take a while to come up to temp. You want to minimize the time food sits in the temperature danger zone. 40F-140F. Throw it on cold and it will come up more safely in the pit.

^ +1 I agree

Over the years I have found I let less and less things sit to "room temp"... at this point only steak gets to shake the chill...

I can't imagine letting a whole hog warm would be a safe thing to do...

I always put whole hogs on while they are still cold. I do start out cooking at low temp until the pig is warmed up and then gradually increase the temp.

I like to let them sit out while I'm getting the pit ready and preheated. Usually about 2 hours before it goes on the pit.

When I helped my brother in laws we only had the hog out of the cooler long enough to inject it and straight on the pit. I think I helped them cook around 15 hogs.
We never had a problem doing it that way.

I butcher, place in ice water to chill fast, then keep mine chilled on ice until ready to inject and put in the pit.

Back