MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #61
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
In addition to moisture, the water is a big heat sink. Replace the water with sand, that should give the heat sink benefit back to you. IT will also cut down the risk of grease fires with dripping fat hitting the hot bare plate of the water pan.
I may try sand or fire bricks. I have been using a disposable pan over the empty water pan to minimize the mess/cleanup. It still got a little hot and I could hear the drippings sizzle. Water also gave me cooler temps on the bottom 2 racks so that could be used if I needed to cook foods at different temps. Without water the racks are just a couple degrees apart except the top rack where the heat comes in. Still so much to try and play with.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #62
big brother smoke

Nice weapon!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #63
pjtexas1

For those who have this smoker I just ordered a cover from CoverUs.com. I should have it in a couple of weeks and I will let you know what I think and how it fits. I had them make it 33w x 27d x 54h to clear the side handles, latches, exhaust and wheels. I am not really sure how durable triple laminated vinyl is but for the price it was worth a try. I did read somewhere that it is fire resistant. I paid $49 for the cover, $6 for grommets and draw string, shipping should be $12-$15 depending on weight. I had just about given up because all the quotes were coming back in the $300-$400 range. I don't need something that expensive since it will be kept on my back porch under a roof.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #64
Baptized in Smoke
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
No. But we like to tinker with things. I'm trying a maze today. It's designed to use water but I'm not a big fan of using water. So I want to see how that works.
How did the maze work?
Baptized in Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #65
Baptized in Smoke
Found some matches.

Default First Real Cook On My Abe's 60" Boss Smoker

Baptized in Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #66
titan7
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow!!! Nice work!

What do these cost?

Old 04-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #67
kpbridges907
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That looks awesome gives me lots of ideas on what to do with my little smoker dilemma.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #68
pjtexas1

Looks great! Nice smoke ring.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #69
Flobee1kenobi

fully sealed the intake ports to make it permanently guru powered, made an additional 4 racks, and threw on some monster truck wheels. I got 14 hours on this weekends cook and still had coals left to do another ribs session. Might have to throw a heat diverter in there, it goes through the water!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #70
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobee1kenobi View Post

fully sealed the intake ports to make it permanently guru powered, made an additional 4 racks, and threw on some monster truck wheels. I got 14 hours on this weekends cook and still had coals left to do another ribs session. Might have to throw a heat diverter in there, it goes through the water!
You know we need details on how you sealed up the intakes. Pictures too. Those wheels look really good! How much charcoal did you use in the 14 hour cook? Weekend before last I used 6lbs in 9 hours with a full pan of water running at about 275-300. I use a lot less without water.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #71
Flobee1kenobi

Rope gasket in the space between wood and metal, bead of hi-heat rtv on the smokers port, insert guru adapter and run another bead where the adapter meets the smoker. and a fire retardant insulation piece on the end of the wooden block

Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #72
Flobee1kenobi

dumped a whole 20 lb bag of kingsford in the basket+a small chimney. Went 14+ hours even with the temp spikes from the air leaks, and had tons left over

Last edited by Flobee1kenobi; 04-28-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Flobee1kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #73
Flobee1kenobi

Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #74
Flobee1kenobi

Greased up and ready for battle

Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #75
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobee1kenobi View Post
and threw on some monster truck wheels!
When are you putting a lift kit on?

Flobee's Abe's kicked out some nice ribs this weekend too.

And boxed up for a practice cook before our comp in a couple of weeks.