• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where are all the tamale pots?

bwsawman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I searched all the local stores...nothing. Walmart / Target online sold out.
Nothing on ebay for 32 qt size. Only one seller on amazon but I don't want to spend $38.99 plus shipping to make a mini WSM.

Any ideas as why they are so hard to find / where I should look for one? Thanks

The seafood boil pot I bought from Academy also fits on a Smokey Joe. The brand is Outdoor Gourmet, which is the Academy store brand. I don't recall much else specific about it.

Sorry I'm not more help, but at least that is a lead you can follow.

CD

That's too bad. Here in cali you find them everywhere. Maybe they have some at a restaurant kitchen supply store in your area.

I had Zero luck at Walmart target etc. but I see them all the time in large grocery stores here in Texas. Large grocery stores usually have an aisle with kitchen gadgets. IMUSA tamale pots are usually on the top shelf of this aisle.

Weber bought them all up to create a market for the 2014 Weber mini WSM?

I recently moved closer to downtown Austin, and all the grocery stores down here have Imusa 32 qt tamale pots. Some have the Vasconia in 2 styles, with and without insulated handles. The one with insulated handle is $24.99, the pots without insulation are all 19.99 all day, every day.

The closest HEB store to me has all 3 models in stock all the time. I'm finally getting ready to make a mini out of my sjs.

my asian/mexican market had a ton of them months ago. saturday they had one left ! no idea why. the ones they sell fit perfectly. about $16 .

I had Zero luck at Walmart target etc. but I see them all the time in large grocery stores here in Texas. Large grocery stores usually have an aisle with kitchen gadgets. IMUSA tamale pots are usually on the top shelf of this aisle.

I have seen them in one Kroger near me. That Kroger has a farking fine jewelry store in it. Seriously, you can buy a pork butt, a gallon of milk, toilet paper, and a diamond engagement ring in one store. I'm not making this up.

CD

:lol::lol:
Weber bought them all up to create a market for the 2014 Weber mini WSM?

That's funny.

So, it looks like if I'm in California or Texas no problems finding a pot for $20. I'll keep looking...I really want to make a mini WSM. My daughter gave me a sjs for Father's Day so I could build my mini.

Thanks for the help.

Bayou classics also sell a tamale pot. I found a few a while back on EvilBay. The Walmarts around me have never had them, but the ones in Virginia that I have stopped at had them in May.

My family has made a lot of tamales, we just use a big pot with one of those expandable vegetable steam baskets on the bottom. I mean of course a Tamale pot with the basket is the best but you work with what you can find ^_^

I have seen them in one Kroger near me. That Kroger has a farking fine jewelry store in it. Seriously, you can buy a pork butt, a gallon of milk, toilet paper, and a diamond engagement ring in one store. I'm not making this up.

CD

That's too funny! We used to have a Murray's Auto Parts store near us that also sold jewelry. You could buy a tie rod end and a gold ring lol. More than once I've purchased some precious metals there in hopes of gaining access to "forbidden fruits". Sometimes it worked out, sometimes not.:biggrin1:

To the OP, nothing to add as to where to find the pot, but I suggest getting one with insulated(plastic covered) handles. Makes it much easier to refuel during a cook. Good luck.

:lol::lol:

That's funny.

So, it looks like if I'm in California or Texas no problems finding a pot for $20. I'll keep looking...I really want to make a mini WSM. My daughter gave me a sjs for Father's Day so I could build my mini.

Thanks for the help.

Add Memphis to that list. Tons of them to be found, just in mi barrio. Then again, about a third of my neighbors and a third of the neighborhood where I live, is Latino. Viva!

I went to wally world and saw the pots for 19 bucks. They fit snug in the bottom of the SJ, but the top didn't sit right.

Before I pull the trigger, can I bang the pot to make it fit, so I don't lose the ability to go back to the origianl sj, or should I look for the Vasconia?

ymmv, but middle of summer is not generally tamale season. I am sure in Mexico it does not really matter, but at least in South Texas, tamaladas (tamale making parties) are more of a holiday season activity. If I had to wag, it is because there is also a tradition of butchering hogs when it is cooler as well (Us German/Czech have our sausage making parties in the winter also).

Before I pull the trigger, can I bang the pot to make it fit, so I don't lose the ability to go back to the origianl sj, or should I look for the Vasconia?

Yes you can (and usually have to) bend the rim of the pot down to make the lid fit. I did it with channel locks, but if I had it to do again I'd use a large flat-head screwdriver placed under the rim where it meets the pot, then tap gently with a hammer to bend the rim down. It's pretty soft aluminum, so it's fairly easy to shape.

Back