Tri-Tip?

BMantlow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is a "Tri-Tip" called by any other name/cut in grocery stores? I've seen several great "Pron Shots" here since joining the Brethren, but no beef cut labeled "Tri-Tip" in my local grocery.

1) Is this a special cut I have to ask for, if so, what grade, "Choice" or lesser/better grade?

If cooking on OTG:

2) Direct or Indirect heat?
3) Moist or dry heat?
4) Wraped, panned, covered pan or neither?
5) Grate temp?
6) Internal meat temp when it should be pulled from grill?
7) Rest in foil or not?
8) Is Tri-Tip normally 'sliced'?

9) Dry Rub?
10) Inject, if so, with what?

Thanks,

Benny

Is a "Tri-Tip" called by any other name/cut in grocery stores? I've seen several great "Pron Shots" here since joining the Brethren, but no beef cut labeled "Tri-Tip" in my local grocery.

1) Is this a special cut I have to ask for, if so, what grade, "Choice" or lesser/better grade?

If cooking on OTG:

3) Moist or dry heat?
5) Grate temp?
7) Rest in foil or not?

9) Dry Rub?

Thanks,

Benny

I don't know what other names it goes by. Around here the stuff grows on trees and you can find it everywhere. I bought a choice tri-tip last week and it was awesome, but I only picked it up because it was on sale. A select tri-tip is still awesome, I cooked up three yesterday with great results.

Traditional "Santa Maria" method calls for cooking directly over red oak, but indirect works. The three I did yesterday were in a UDS at about 375*. For tri-tip keep it simple.S alt, pepper and garlic is good, you can add onion powder but don't get crazy with injections, it's not necessary. Cook it like a steak until about 125* and rest for 15-30 minutes. ALWAYS make sure you slice perpendicular to the grain or you'll end up with stringy, chewy meat. If you slice perpendicular it will be very tender even if overcooked. The grain actually changes direction in the middle of the roast so make sure you take note and slice correctly.

I've had success cooking low and slow and I've also done Santa Maria style which is over live flame, each method is great. Just make sure you pull at the correct temp for your preferred level of doneness (medium rare is best for tri-tip, IMO) and make sure you slice perpendicular to the grain and you'll be happy!

If cooking on OTG:

3) Moist or dry heat?
5) Grate temp?
7) Rest in foil or not?

9) Dry Rub?

Thanks,

Benny

It's out of the bottom sirloin. My grocer does not carry them either. I generally buy whole sirloins and cut it out myself.

It's hard to get on the East Coast. I looked for a long time until a new butcher opened up in my town and was able to cut some for me. Find a local butcher and they should be able to help you out.

The idea to cooking TT is to cook it like a roast rather than BBQ. I use high heat (350 F) indirect when cooking it on my grill. I cook until the IT is around 130 F and let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing against the grain. The typical beef temps are at play here.

120 - 125 - Rare
130 - 135 Medium rare
140 - 145 - Medium
150 - 155 - Medium Well
160 and > - Well done

The closer to rare you cook the TT the more juicy and tender it will be, IMO.

Hmm I don't know about internal and grate temps but I've been cooking Tri-Tips my whole life (being I am an hour from Santa Maria) it's the most common thing grilled/bbqed here. I usually only do dry rubs and they vary from very simple ones like garlic, salt and pepper to a full on brisket style rub. I do a little bit of a hybrid style of cooking where I smoke it for a while then cook it over open flame (white or red oak).

Tell your butcher you want NAMP #185C (Most surface fat trimmed away) or #185D (untrimmed).

That is the official designation from the North American Meat Processor asscoiation.

I can give you my two cents

Direct

3) Moist or dry heat?

Dry but I use a wet mop

4) Wrapped, panned, covered pan or neither?

I put them in a covered pan once the outside has a crust

5) Grate temp?
I use a traditional Santa Maria style grill that I can raise and lower so the temp varies. I also use charcoal or oak so the temperature fluctuates

IMG00189-20100925-1229.jpg
I usually marinade an hour before use or if i'm tailgating overnight but i also trim and pound
IMG00188-20100925-1228.jpg
IMG00190-20100925-1507.jpg
then before putting indirectly over grill i let sit for an hour
IMG00192-20100925-1515.jpg
then yummy!
juicytri-tip.jpg
a couple notes:
1. don't butterfly
2. fat side up
3. use a drip pan!

I don't know what other names it goes by. Around here the stuff grows on trees and you can find it everywhere. I bought a choice tri-tip last week and it was awesome, but I only picked it up because it was on sale. A select tri-tip is still awesome, I cooked up three yesterday with great results.

Traditional "Santa Maria" method calls for cooking directly over red oak, but indirect works. The three I did yesterday were in a UDS at about 375*. For tri-tip keep it simple.S alt, pepper and garlic is good, you can add onion powder but don't get crazy with injections, it's not necessary. Cook it like a steak until about 125* and rest for 15-30 minutes. ALWAYS make sure you slice perpendicular to the grain or you'll end up with stringy, chewy meat. If you slice perpendicular it will be very tender even if overcooked. The grain actually changes direction in the middle of the roast so make sure you take note and slice correctly.

I've had success cooking low and slow and I've also done Santa Maria style which is over live flame, each method is great. Just make sure you pull at the correct temp for your preferred level of doneness (medium rare is best for tri-tip, IMO) and make sure you slice perpendicular to the grain and you'll be happy!

What's about average cost per pound?

What's average weight of these?

I Just picked up 2 of these here in MO and they are I.5 and 1.75 lbs weight and were $5.19 per lb. I think I read on an earlier tri-tip post that they were paying $.7-8 per lb. I can't wait to cook these suckas up!

I Just picked up 2 of these here in MO and they are I.5 and 1.75 lbs weight and were $5.19 per lb. I think I read on an earlier tri-tip post that they were paying $.7-8 per lb. I can't wait to cook these suckas up!

I tried to buy some last weekend and it was $7 a pound so I just put it back cause that's crazy expensive, they usually range between $3-5 per pound cause they are always on sale.

On a side note it's crazy to me that you guys can't get it in your local stores just cause it's all people grill/bbq here in CA.

1) Is this a special cut I have to ask for, if so, what grade, "Choice" or lesser/better grade? For me, the better the grade, the better the meat, it is a simple equation. Although I would be surprised if you find much beyond choice available anywhere. Many that I have cooked were select, and they work great since I rarely cook past medium rare (135F internal)

If cooking on OTG:

I learned to do it the traditional way, on a Santa Maria cooker, just north of Santa Maria in fact. It works great, particularly if you are serving it off the grill with a short rest. I now cook most of mine smoked at 250F until 125F to 130F internal, then seared. This works best for me especially if I am serving from a service line or panned meats.
3) Moist or dry heat?
I go with heat level closer to smoking levels, if the grill is full, I add no moisture, if there is just a couple of pieces, than I add a can or two of water as I believe this conditions the cooker in the air better. I prefer a full cooker. On my OTS, that means four or five tri-tips.
I cooked 'nekkid' meat. No foiling or panning. For holding, I prefer to hold whole chunks in a pan with au jus and covered with foil. Since it is sirloin, once cooked, a tri-tip will dry fast and become unservable without some moisture and low heat. Even at that, I try not to hold it for more than 15 minutes for serving.
5) Grate temp?
What I learned was that you want a direct grill to be hot on one side and warm on the other, so you are looking at 350F or even more on one side and more like 215F on the other. On my kettle, this is impractical so I go with 250F for smoking and hot as she will go for searing.
I pull at 130F internal at the very most, and yes, I eat my meat, especially tri-tip on the reddish side, it is best medium rare (130 to 135 internal).
7) Rest in foil or not?
As above, I rest in a pan filled with au jus.
:cool: Is Tri-Tip normally 'sliced'?
Yes, and it must be sliced correctly, it just must. And that means, across the grain, either vertically or on the bias, I usually do on the bias and across the grain. They key is, it must be across the grain. Also. there are two side to a tri-tip and the grain changes in the angle of the roast, which is to say, you cannot cut the whole roast on one angle.

I tried to buy some last weekend and it was $7 a pound so I just put it back cause that's crazy expensive, they usually range between $3-5 per pound cause they are always on sale.

On a side note it's crazy to me that you guys can't get it in your local stores just cause it's all people grill/bbq here in CA.

I guess Pork is king over here on the right coast. I've been seeing all this beef pron on this board and want to try me some. I did a chuckie recently and it was pretty good. Just trying to work up to a briskie cook with these smaller cuts of beef first.

Yeah chuckie is something I've seen on here that looks fantastic....got to try me some of that too.

landarc:
Thank you for the info.....you're practically the tri-tip WIki-man!

Back