UDS: Oven Cleaner and the Red Lining of DOOM!

PorkDork

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So what's the verdict on using oven cleaner to get rid of the red liner for a UDS. I've searched all 56,405,203 pages of the UDS thread and there's not much of a consensus. Does it work???

I doubt it would work. You're going to have to use a wire wheel on it and do some burn outs. Another option might be to find somewhere to get it sandblasted.

Get a Harbor Freight weed burner and just burn out the liner. You do it from the outside until it turns black and then back pink. Then pressure wash it out. Takes about 1-1/2 hour start to finish.. Trust me. I have done 6 of them in the last 2 months.

Incidentally, it will take a full tank of propane to get it done.

Those posts that I've seen say it works.
I'd be sure to use the heavy duty stuff, sodium hydroxide or lye is the key ingredient.
Maybe start with the lid and see how it goes. That stuff is very corrosive too so wash clean and try to season the metal real quick if you get it down to bare metal.
A bottle of lye made into a paste might cut down on the fumes, but of course be very careful and use heavy gloves and don't breathe the stuff.
And have somewhere to dump the caustic wash water.
Could be a lot of trouble - so you could just do like Marty says ^^^.

Marty I don't have the resources for a weed burner, but how long do you have to burn the outside to get the liner off? Since I live in the city limits of a SMALL town, I wonder if I could just suspend the thing a few inches over a fire pit for a little while. You think that might work?

I think if you can, get a bunch of scrap wood, Pallets etc and load it up and burn it all out. Drill your lower Intake holes first for airflow.

man..you guys put too much work into get this red liner out...When I first built a UDS it had the red liner, and I tried the wire wheel, the grinder, the burnout, etc etc..and I can tell you they are all very labor and back breaking intensive.

Then I found a local company that does sand and bead blasting.....took them my drum and for $15.00 they bead blasted the entire red liner of death out in less than 10 minutes.

Dan

You would be better off finding someone to sandblast it. Cost me $25 to have some blast it inside and out.

I'm in a town of 13k and I'm not sure we've got anyone here that can do it. I worked over the lid last night with a wire wheel and it took me a good 30 minutes and there is still little specks of red on it.
I'm going to try and find a media blaster in town today and if I don't have any luck I'll try oven cleaner and post my results.

you should be able to find someone there who can do it...man I'm in a town of only 6,000 and I found someone...just call around to paint and body shops, and they'll know of someone who does it.

Dan

They wanted a hundred bucks to sandblast it here because that is not just paint..

you've got to get the temp up over a thousand degrees. the steel almost turns red before the paint completely burns off.

wow 100 is a lot of money for sandblasing it. I stopped buy while the guy was going to do some other stuff. took him about 20 mins to blast it all off on my drum.

I used a can of non-toxic citrus paint stripper that I got at Wal-Mart. It worked amazingly well. Sprayed it on, let it sit for an hour or so and then wiped it off (and off came all the lining). I wish I would have tried that on the drum itself....might have saved me a lot of the fun of climbing inside the barrel with the angle grinder. :clap2:

my son in law works at a body shop and is sandblasting the red liner out of 4 barrels for me for $50 - the cost of the blasting sand or whatever medium they use.

I have tried multiple different types of paint remover. Haven't found one yet that even dents that red food liner......

Man there's so much conflicting information! I just got off the phone with all the auto/body/paint/sandblasting shops in town and the cheapest one was a minimum of $50 if it only takes 30 minutes.

I was hoping to get this thing done on the cheap, but I fear it's going to be costing me a WSM by the time I'm done.

I used a can of non-toxic citrus paint stripper that I got at Wal-Mart. It worked amazingly well. Sprayed it on, let it sit for an hour or so and then wiped it off (and off came all the lining). I wish I would have tried that on the drum itself....might have saved me a lot of the fun of climbing inside the barrel with the angle grinder. :clap2:

So did you use this stripper on the INSIDE or the OUTSIDE. If the inside, was it the red liner??

I only used it on the lid and the bottom of the barrel, but it was the dreaded red liner and it worked pretty well. (My drum contained Acai Berry Concentrate) On the can of stripper it said that it works better in warmer temperatures, so being that it was out in my garage and it was cold I stuck my shop light inside the barrel for a bit to warm the inside up before applying.

If and when I do this again I will most likely get a quart of the heavy duty paint remover and use that on the whole barrel. Grinding it out with the angle grinder was a pain in the a$$!

Also, I have never painted the outside of my drum. It is the same ugly blue paint with the stenciled label saying Acai berry concentrate from Brazil on the outside.

I only used it on the lid and the bottom of the barrel, but it was the dreaded red liner and it worked pretty well. (My drum contained Acai Berry Concentrate) On the can of stripper it said that it works better in warmer temperatures, so being that it was out in my garage and it was cold I stuck my shop light inside the barrel for a bit to warm the inside up before applying.

Alright man, it's on you! I got some heavy duty non-toxic stripper from walmart. Says it works on everything including epoxy. Slathered it on there pretty thick, says it works anywhere from 30min to 24 hours. I'll let you all know how it works. Here's what the stuff looks like.

242183_1783720513755_1261741878_31583574_7711793_o.jpg

Fingers crossed...

Back