• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ultimate UDS for me help with thoughts and ideas

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anybody have any pictures of their ultimate UDS? An ultimate to me is one that can grill, smoke, hang meat as well as use racks, and in my case in a stubby compact drum? I’m planning on building a new one this spring and I’m looking for the best ideas possible to have one drum do everything I need. I prefer the drum lids as I feel they give a cleaner look but I do have a Weber grill that is no good but the lid is decent that I could use if need be. I’d like to see pictures if anybody has any “ultimate“. I will post pictures of my current ultimate (that I plan on improving this spring with a new one) as soon as I get to Photobucket on my laptop. I see you cannot add attachments on this forum. Cheers

Last edited:
My real thoughts are that the PBC has a good idea with the holes to slide rods through and exhaust. That is my plan whenever I build another one. I would space holes for three rods in a 55 gallon drum.
Also, having a lower rack setting so that the basket will sit on it to come just below the top grate for grilling.
I have no pictures, just ideas.

A couple I have built. I wouldn't go back to a tall drum. Only reason for a tall drum is if you want to hang full racks of ribs. Everything else will hang without cutting in a stubby. Easier to move. Much easier to get the basket in/out. Easier to clean. Still have 3 grate locations. 2 for cooking, one for a drip pan or diffuser.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3949741#post3949741 You might have to scroll up the screen for info/pics.

Attachments

• beef ribs (5).jpg
    beef ribs (5).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 154
  • woodfired stubby.jpg
    woodfired stubby.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 153
  • hanger 1.jpg
    hanger 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
My real thoughts are that the PBC has a good idea with the holes to slide rods through and exhaust.
I tried using 2- 1.5" pipe elbows opposing each other just below the top rim for exhaust.
Much to restrictive to get above 275*. Using straight holes you would be fighting any wind that could blow into your exhaust.
I tried, but it just doesn't work well if you want to run different temps.
Just a heads up.

Using my 007 raised ring.

Attachments

• 24 in to grate.jpg
    24 in to grate.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 250 deg (2).jpg
    250 deg (2).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 151
  • wings on.jpg
    wings on.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 152
Here shows how much Stubbs coal/Cherrywood chunks are used after 11hrs at 275* smoking a brisket using a drip pan. 6" high expanded metal attached to a 17" weber coal grate with 4" legs.
Only a bit over 3" high in the basket. Not full

Attachments

• 11 hrs 285.jpg
    11 hrs 285.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 99
  • coal after 11 hrs.jpg
    coal after 11 hrs.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 99
  • coal bskt.jpg
    coal bskt.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 96
  • brskt point.jpg
    brskt point.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 98
Here shows how much Stubbs coal/Cherrywood chunks are used after 11hrs at 275* smoking a brisket using a drip pan. 6" high expanded metal attached to a 17" weber coal grate with 4" legs.

Not familiar with that style of charcoal. It looks like briquettes. Am I right?

Not familiar with that style of charcoal. It looks like briquettes. Am I right?
Yes.
Cowboy in a joint venter used to own Stubbs. I believe Duraflame does now and the product might not be available any longer. Only sold at Lowes around here.
Longest burning charcoal I have ever used. Period.
And the ash is pure ash, no small unburnable chunks left over.

Here is the raised grill/searing grate. 22" cooking grate with expanded metal about 18" round and expanded metal over the grate bars to keep the coal in place. When new.
Works great.

Attachments

• coal sear grate.jpg
    coal sear grate.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 93
  • coal grate in stubby.jpg
    coal grate in stubby.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 93
  • cooking grate over top.jpg
    cooking grate over top.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 93
I need a good welder. Come to think of it, I need a welder.

Also, if you like rotisserie. Using the raised ring/dome lid allows you to rotisserie and have something on the grate above.
I gave all that to a neighbor who I built a drum for. He loves to rotisserie burning pure wood.

Back